Greetings Grahawk.

Too true. The "sequencer" has much to be desired, but for a keyboard that cost as much as a decent software sequencer, you have to agree that it is incredible that it has anything to record with for the price.

I think the so called "Sequencer" was really intended for the sake of being able to make your own background layers. For instance you can record your own small mix into it and then use it's voice loops layed over it to trip it out. Of course you could also sample a loop if it were a small one and then play it as a loop on the keyboard at any key. But it is certainly not a pattern generator or a phrase sampler like you find on the Korg or Roland rhythm boxes.

I think my approach to the djx-1 is to be objective for what it has, the cost you could pick one up for, it's originally intended purpose, and how well it could fit into a set-up.

Someone could certainly spend $1900.00 to $2500.00 on a keyboard workstation that could easily blow the djx-1 away. But how many people want to spend that kind of money unless they are going to be using it as a solo instrument on tour or in the studio.

Heck, if you can afford to record all your work at a studio and your producing serious projects, or if you have an agent getting you high paying gigs, then spend the money and buy a Korg Karma.

Grahawk,

About the voices. Yes, they could certainly be improved on a bit. But, I think the looped voices are a unique addition. The only thing I could think of other than maybe updating the voices and what I already stated as good upgrades for it, is maybe if they expanded the keyboard to 88 keys, added a modulation wheel, and allowed for multiple keyboard splits. It does have three split points technically, but one of the splits is for controlling the patterns. I'd like to be able to split the voices down by individual keys, that would be nice.

But, you take what you get.

Let me say too, the voice generation of some of the higher end Yamaha PSR's and Yamaha's professional keyboards are certainly of a higher digital quality than the DJX series of keyboards. But, what amazes me is that so many professional keyboardist own one anyway and use it as part of their set-up.

And personally, I hate any keyboard that calls a drum loop or pattern "Ballad,waltz, or anything similar. If you buy a keyboard with something like that, you might as well buy a metronome or one of those Sears Organs and just use that. Save yourself some money.

About checking out a keyboard and buying what you like. I absolutely agree with that. If your looking for a professional keyboard than you'll want to buy a professional keyboard and spend the required cash. I never recommend buying a keyboard or any gear with out putting it to the test.

I test out my gear for at least six months on a weekly basis at a local music store before I ever buy it.

I tested out the djx-1 for eight months whenever I had the time, simply to find out everything I could about it. I downloaded and printed out a copy of it's users manual from Yamaha to review it's features. Before I ever seriously considered it. Since I am into experimental music and alternative music, the djx-1 looked like a wise choice for me.
------------------
Official DJX Users Group http://page.freett.com/newfriends/

[This message has been edited by dj_white_rice (edited 12-16-2001).]