Sparky, I cleaned up your post a tad to keep us all out of trouble. WE understand but please don't get too excited and let your fingers slip
Thank you Alec and others for a lot of good solid info here. We always need sound and accurate info rather then sales hype and conjecture that we get so much exposure to.
I started out with the Version 1 of Norton but replaced it early on with McAfee when they started. I have never had a virus since I replaced Norton, until now and NOW was my own fault. I opened an attachment that I was expecting from a friend and it was the W32/KLEZ.H-- real nasty worm. The first thing it does is defeat everything you have in your puter to defeat it, starting with your virus program, also including the cd drives, Adaptec,the restore cab files, and key OS files. You must have an emergencgy start disc to get the computer running again, then restore macafee to eliminate 89 infected files, then use the restore disc to restore to the last backup, in my case the 25 of May, so I only lost files between may 25 and June 3. I think I got the computer down before it sent out any, or many reproduced virus to names and addys in my computer. I apologize to anyone that might have received this virus due to my stupidity. I had shut Macafee down to do computer maintainece as Macafee keeps accessing the hard drive and slowing down this operation. I opened the attachment from my friend and it was not what I was expecting. It was a copy of the virus that she was asking advice about. LIVE AND LEARN, yes even at my age.
I have had Macafee Online Clinic since it started. Pay for it by the year, it checks the computer everymorning at startup, and downloads new dats automatically when they are released by Mcafee every day or two, or three. It auto checks all incoming and outgoing mail and files. I also do a weekly rescan of over 40,000 files in this small main frame. I am pleased with it and will stay with them. I get maybe 4 virus a day mailed to me and I recognize most of them and delete them but when I miss Macafee never does.
That is my story,
Best to all
Bebop