Playing and entertaining are two different animals.
I know great players who can't find an audience.
I know average or below average players who stay busy, because they entertain.
My friend DickieT, although he plays great bass guitar and now even mandolin, really can't play a lick on the keyboard. He used one finger chords and turns all the style parts up loud, and only plays an occasional few notes with right hand. He also uses a lot of karaoke songs (which is the main reason he bought the Yamaha PSR SX900). Point is that he stays as busy as he wants and everybody loves to hear him. He is a good MC, but really an average singer. He could easily get a job as a bass player, for $50. a night! Instead he does that for fun, jamming on upright bass or mandolin with fellow Bluegrass guys. That is the country version of Jazz; lots of great players who don't make any money. smile
My good friend Gary Diamond, although he plays more keyboard than Dickie, will tell you he was successful because of his entertaining skills, including a fine voice, and attention to the business and promotion end of things.
I'm kind of in the middle, I can play a lot of songs and sing decent any more, but certainly not a piano player. I was a better guitar and trumpet player than piano. (Actually never played piano). I've been lucky enough to discover arrangers and have found a niche in which I've been successful to a small degree.
It all depends on what gives you satisfaction and makes you feel good. If that is entertaining people, great. If it is achieving high levels of expertise, great. Very few do both, and they are mostly doing a concert or on TV. Only one I know here is Captain Russ. Although, Uncle Dave is in the conversation as well. Other could well have been, but life choices, make being successful in music a second choice for most (smart) people. smile
Another rant over. I'm in a ranting mood today.