Does good playing equal good entertainment?

Posted by: Mark79100

Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/02/19 11:01 AM

I was studying her arpeggio's on this song but began thinking about something after I watched the video a few times.

Her playing is fine, she's very polished, admirable composure, a very talented pianist, but...I think her "interpretation" leaves a lot to be desired.

After a few views I began to notice it. The "squishing" of the first few melody notes set the tone. This is a great example of why you should learn the words of a song before learning the actual song. Her arpeggios in the release are perfectly executed, just a bit too mechanical.

Still, of all her reviews on the page, only one person...the last person in the list to remark....wrote: "Bad!, what a horrible version"

What did YOU think of her interpretation (NOT her playing)?

Almost forgot. I listen a lot to Eva Cassidy so I tend to use her as the benchmark for everyone else!
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/02/19 02:22 PM

I agree that she is a very good pianist, but too busy putting in arps that are not needed.
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/02/19 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By Bernie9
I agree that she is a very good pianist, but too busy putting in arps that are not needed.

Agreed she’s talented but too mechanical.
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/02/19 06:53 PM

She's over doing it in the beginnings. Save the embellisments for later.

BTW congradulations on choosing Eva as a model for phrasing. She was unbelievable
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/02/19 07:14 PM

You're right about one thing, Mark; the focus should definitely be on her interpretation and not her playing. If I had to grade on each, it would be playing - B, Interpretation - D-. Sadly, I agree with the last guy that posted. First, the song itself is 'fluff'. One good test of a (pop) song is whether any TOP jazz players will touch it. If little to none (as with this song), that means it was created from the ground up for the great unwashed - hence, the majority of posters who liked it. The song's chord structure lends itself to a lot of 'fluff' playing so there are probably lots of overblown interpretations of it out there. It's a great vehicle for showing off one's digital dexterity or technical virtuosity but not necessarily their 'feelings'.

I know this seems more like a critique of the song than of her performance, but with a song as popular as this one, it's hard not to point out it's role in this. JMO. BTW, I love these kinds of posts as they shine a light on how we evaluate, respond to, and ultimately how we PLAY music.

Forgot to mention 'til I read Bill's post above; Eva Cassidy was maybe one of the best ever at what she did---which is, touch the soul.

chas
Posted by: DonM

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/02/19 09:34 PM

Playing and entertaining are two different animals.
I know great players who can't find an audience.
I know average or below average players who stay busy, because they entertain.
My friend DickieT, although he plays great bass guitar and now even mandolin, really can't play a lick on the keyboard. He used one finger chords and turns all the style parts up loud, and only plays an occasional few notes with right hand. He also uses a lot of karaoke songs (which is the main reason he bought the Yamaha PSR SX900). Point is that he stays as busy as he wants and everybody loves to hear him. He is a good MC, but really an average singer. He could easily get a job as a bass player, for $50. a night! Instead he does that for fun, jamming on upright bass or mandolin with fellow Bluegrass guys. That is the country version of Jazz; lots of great players who don't make any money. smile
My good friend Gary Diamond, although he plays more keyboard than Dickie, will tell you he was successful because of his entertaining skills, including a fine voice, and attention to the business and promotion end of things.
I'm kind of in the middle, I can play a lot of songs and sing decent any more, but certainly not a piano player. I was a better guitar and trumpet player than piano. (Actually never played piano). I've been lucky enough to discover arrangers and have found a niche in which I've been successful to a small degree.
It all depends on what gives you satisfaction and makes you feel good. If that is entertaining people, great. If it is achieving high levels of expertise, great. Very few do both, and they are mostly doing a concert or on TV. Only one I know here is Captain Russ. Although, Uncle Dave is in the conversation as well. Other could well have been, but life choices, make being successful in music a second choice for most (smart) people. smile
Another rant over. I'm in a ranting mood today.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/02/19 09:45 PM

Ditto!
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/04/19 09:58 AM

Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/04/19 10:25 AM

Hi,
Put it this way, I wouldn’t dash out and buy it, or pay to download it from iTunes.
She seems very accomplished, but it is a strange interpretation of a nice simple ballad, trying to turn it into some sort of piano concerto ? for want of a better term.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/04/19 11:28 AM

Her playing skills are good. Her interpretation, not very good.
Runs, fills, and arps are used to build the emotions of a song.

John C.
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/04/19 01:35 PM

If she would have left all that embellishment out it would have been pretty good. Why complicate a beautiful, somewhat simple piece.....
Lee
Posted by: jingleman

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/04/19 01:41 PM

Sounds like a poorly recorded demo for a Liberace contest.

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/04/19 01:44 PM

Who are we to judge? anybody here hat can play any better please post your version.... I don't get it..
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/04/19 01:53 PM

Donny, That could be said about anyone commenting and giving an opinion on ANYTHING. ... I watch sports and do not hesitate to comment on what I might think is a bad play by an athlete, and I would think that you have done the same when watching the E-girls or especially when you were watching our beloved Yankees fall to the Astros ... And they all are far better athletes than I am ...
It's part of what makes the world go round ...
Posted by: jingleman

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/04/19 01:56 PM

She certainly is a trained pianist. I don’t know how this relates to entertainment...but it is definitely a poor recording.

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/04/19 02:03 PM

I guess you're right to a point Tony but these demos and judgments are out of control....
Posted by: Crossover

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/04/19 02:46 PM

Many have already said that she's technically on a very good level. I think her arrangement makes the impression that showing her technique is in the focus here, and in relation to the melody it appears a bit of an exaggerated style.
What makes it a little annoying to listen to it is the acoustics of the room, the recording and the detuned grand piano, also it's too much forte playing especially in the left hand, could be due to the piano responsiveness, too.

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/04/19 04:27 PM

Back to the original question.

“Does good playing equal good entertainment?

My answer: Yes, but only to a very limited audience. The question being answered here is another view. Can she play good arpeggios and scales? Yes, reasonably well. Does her playing have the emotions that this song needs? --- the title is Feelings; no, she does not.

The only reason for posting these opinions is to help those who are not aware about the emotional part of music. They are not to discredit the young lady who is playing.
John C.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/04/19 04:53 PM

I finally listened to it ... all I could think of was 'variations on a theme' ...

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/04/19 04:56 PM

John C. I’ll always remember when I was working at the piano my teacher said “anyone can play notes, you need to play with expression.”

Crossover you hit the nail on the head that piano is “detuned “ and does not really sound as good as it should.

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/04/19 05:15 PM

Steve, I love the emotional part of music. Songs like Feelings, Misty, What are you doing the Rest of You Life; even Mack the knife and lover. (Up tunes) I try to live the song I am playing.

This is not a put-down in any way, but I can’t seem to do the same with most of today’s music. Help?

John C.

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/05/19 03:24 AM

John, That’s one thing about piano I can get expression on it that I can’t quite get on an arranger’ s piano.
Posted by: Harold123

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/05/19 05:52 AM

Steven I AGREE 100%........Harold
Posted by: girljam

Re: Does good playing equal good entertainment? - 11/08/19 09:15 AM

Ditto, ditto, ditto . . .
WAY overdone. . . .
I am nowhere near as talented as she is, regarding my playing skills, but most times for me, simple is better, and the dynamics and emotion used while playing any piece are what makes it enjoyable and memorable to listen to!