Originally Posted By tony mads usa
jingleman ... That's very interesting, and I find more and more - especially when people think it's necessary for THEM to do their own 'voice overs' - that I'm asking myself "what did they say the name of that company/product/whatever was?" ...

Originally Posted By jingleman

There are certain words sung in this example where her releases are not well defined...making it difficult to understand.

Could you be more specific about this?

Thank you

Tony:
I'll listen to the example tonight as I'm working today. I'll point out specific words in the lyric that had she released them with better diction...they would have been easier to understand.

glot·tal stop
/ˈɡlädl ˌstäp/Submit
noun
a consonant formed by the audible release of the airstream after complete closure of the glottis. It is widespread in some nonstandard English accents, and in some other languages, such as Arabic, it is a standard consonant.

Don Shelton of Singers Unlimited did a vocal workshop at our studio back in the 90's. We discussed glottal stops as an important vocal technique to improve lyric clarity.

As I mentioned earlier...this is extremely important in jingle singing. I have noticed that pop music singers are less concerned with these techniques.

To my ears...it shows the difference between a trained singer and a untrained singer.

As this is subjective...there are many cases in pop music where diction may not be the goal. ie: Louie..Louie. Some lyric lines are better off subtle.

Thanks,
jingleman

Edited by jingleman (12/27/18 03:48 AM)