Many, many years my Dad, also a musician, and I were watching a young black singer sing the song, “Why Was I Born”. He was singing slurs throughout the song. We did not judge it good or bad, it was just different. Over the years this type of singing is being done more and more.

I understand what Gary is saying. The old school gave the lyric prime importance. Ex. “Why do I love you” The word “you” was not only a longer, it was a bit louder. It should be, it’s the person you are singing to.

I saying all of this because the importance on the lyric is not as important today. It would be like slurring the word “I” in the example, leaving the word “You” less than. Listening to lyrics with today’s ears it sounds OK. But if you are coming from where Gary and I are coming from, then IT IS kinda of blurred. Ears do not all listen the same – it depends on what they have been taught. You are telling a story.
John C.

PS, I think Frank Sinatra was popular, not mainly because of his voice, but because the lyric was right up front. My Stepson said, “Hey, when he sings you can hear and understand every word”.