Tony, many years ago I took a course in Harford Community College called voice and articulation. It was a great course and I learned a lot from the instructor who was a local jazz singer. The reason I took the course was to improve my voice-overs that I was doing for local TV and Radio stations in the Baltimore metropolitan area. Most of them were car commercials, but I also did some for other products. When I did my first voice-over, I was not at all happy with the results, even though the car dealership loved it.

After taking the course, you could hear a dramatic difference in the overall quality of the voice-overs and I picked up lots of additional jobs. While the course was mainly aimed at singers, and we had to perform in front of an audience of about 200 ppl for our final grade, when I talked with the instructor she was confident it would help with my voice-overs as well. There's a lot more to being a good singer than just belting out the vocals with soul and feeling.

Take a look at http://www.doctorlizmusic.com/voice/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Diction-for-Singers-1011.pdf . This is the same information used in the course that I took as well.

When Carol and I were in Nashville, there was a local, freebee magazine that I picked up that had an advertisement for teaching singers and announcers diction as well. This particular instructor had also provided instruction to Elvis, Sinatra and many of the top singers for the past 40 years, information that was in her advertisement.

Most of the performers I know on this and other sites have never taken any course of this nature, though I have recommended they do so. The handful that did said they really learned a lot and it really had a major impact on their vocal quality.

All the best,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (12/26/18 05:31 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)