Originally Posted By: bruno123
Hi Roger , you have cheered me up !! I thought I was the only one who could not make much sense of it all

John C.

Hi Guys
Sorry, it's probably me. In my enthusiasm for getting access to technics styles again, I probably complicated things.

Reason I initially bought varranger was, I had a beautiful old top of the line Yamaha midi piano, but it didn't have arranger functions, it's just a straight piano.
Selling it, would have been difficult and would not have gotten much for it anyway.
I wanted arranger functions, so I midied my keyboards to it, It's pretty difficult to press variation buttons etc on a keyboard unless I had the keyboard sitting on top of the piano.
Very messy. Quickly gave up on that idea.

So I looked into software arrangers. Started off with One Man Band which allowed me to play PSR styles.

Then Dan mentioned he was developing vArranger, which would play Ketron styles. I had previously owned a Ketron sd1 , so thought great, might be worth a look at.

I had my piano midied to a laptop which ran varranger software (basically the operating system , where I loaded the styles, chose the sounds, chose the fills variations etc)
I also had a little Ketron sd2 sound module to supply the sounds for the styles and melody.
I ran an audio out from the sd2 to the piano for amplification.

I now had an arranger piano without having some bulky keyboard sitting on top of it.
Just the piano, with laptop and the tiny little sd2 module.

Dan has since added the ability to play Roland , Yamaha and Korg styles , and soon apparently Technics styles.

Ok, so we've probably had Roland , Korg & Ketron styles for our Yamaha keyboards, not the same thing, these styles were converted to Yamaha format ( I 've come across some very mixed results) whereas varranger actually loads an original Yamaha or Ketron etc style.

Hopefully the above doesn't make it clear as mud. Haha

Edited by rikkisbears (08/14/16 09:16 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022