Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

Now back to the OFF TOPIC THREAD wink ...

Donny ... how about a 'mini-vacation to America's first vacationland RHODE ISLAND ... we could have lunch at 'The Post' - BEST polenta and calamari ever, have dinner 'On Da Hill', tour Newport, and more ...

BTW ... RI's own - Mike Renzi - is now Tony Bennett's piano player and is featured on the new Tony Bennett/Lady Gaga CD ... Renzi and the great tenor saxophonist Scott Hamilton (NOT the skater) went to high school in RI together ...

Here's Mike with a couple of local guys playing in Newport (I believe)

Tony you already know this, but this is for SZ folks who don't know the culture here in Rhode Island. Rhode Island is smaller than many counties in large states in the US, I seem to remember it's just a little larger than Yosemite National Park. I have spent my entire life here may wind up dying here if we're not in Florida, many from RI never leave it's like a big town, more than it is a state.

How does this associate with Mike Renzi and Vinny Pagano and music in general. I was in the same boy scout troop as Vinny, hoisted a few brews in the same social club the Rosario Society in Providence with Vinny. On Mike Renzi he used to jam on Sunday afternoons in the late 60s to mid 70s with drummer Artie Cabral, bassist Bob Petterutti and the late sax man Art Pelosi. I was there a couple of Sundays every month. What great times listening to those sessions. Mike also played cocktail hour at a long closed club called the Pelham House, been there a few times too.

This small state culture is interesting at any time you could run into someone you went to grammar school with in the mall, supermarket or health club. Just a few days ago while at Planet Fitness I bumped into one of the members of the Beach Boys Tribute band called the Driftwoods. These kids have been playing in the same band when we were all in the 8th grade at St. Bartholomew's School.

Not trying to ramble but when Tony posted the name Vinny Pagano brought back some memories.