Sailing is not inexpensive, but less expensive than living ashore. Living ashore is very expensive, and if anyone thinks not, take a serious look at all your household expenses. Between increasing taxes, cost of repairs and home maintenance, insurance(s), utilities, etc..., the figure is staggering at the very least.

In contrast, living aboard a mid-size sailboat, one that has solar and wind power, only requires minor repairs, and the ability to live in a much smaller space than most folks are accustomed to. Once you get used to this, living aboard is a great life. And, you have the option of moving the boat to warmer climates in the winter, cooler climates in summer, no property or real estate taxes, no utility bills other than some propane for cooking and gasoline or diesel fuel to move the boat when the wind fails to cooperate.

As for groceries, well, if you're competent with a fishing rod and cast net, the seafood is pretty much free. Yes, you will have to shop for fruits and veggies, but by and large, they're not really that expensive. There were a few folks in the Florida Keys that baked their own bread with solar ovens, and I can tell you first hand, that was some of the best bread I've tasted, ever. They also baked cakes, cookies, and cooked on that solar oven, which I thought was really neat. The oven got to 350 degrees in about 20 minutes using nothing more than sunlight for power.

Some of the boats had their own water makers, devices that would make modest volumes of drinking water from sea water. The water was stored in 50 to 75-gallon tanks. Others collected rainwater, then ran the water through filters so it was fit for drinking and cooking.

The refrigerator/freezer on my boat runs on a 100-watt solar panel during the day, and the boat's house batteries at night. I carry 75 gallons of freshwater, and 35-gallons of gas for the auxiliary engine, which gets about 9 miles per gallon. It also keeps the batteries fully charged and heats the hot water for showers and doing dishes.

I have a 21-inch flat screen TV on the boat, which has a digital antenna mounted on a stern post. Most of the time, I have no trouble getting up to 5 TV stations, thus allowing me to watch Sunday football games while at sea. I also have a USB antenna for the PC, which allows me to connect to the Internet using unsecured stations up to 7 miles away. It's pretty rare not to find a station somewhere in my range while cruising the east coast of the USA.

I have a kettle type gas grill that mounts on the stern rail of the boat. I can grill those steaks, chops, burgers, etc..., using my propane connection, or just a small propane tank. Lots of fish that I have caught have been prepared on that grill during the past couple years. Sure tasted might good.

While it can be expensive to live aboard if you are in a marina, you always have the option of anchoring out, living on the hook. I've done that many, many times, finding a small, protected creek or cove to spend the night while traveling south for winter. More often than not I had the entire location to myself, but there were times when I met others doing the same thing I was doing, getting away from the northern winter. I met some incredible individuals, and have kept in touch with many of them since that trip two years ago.

One of the greatest things about living aboard a sailboat is traveling from one neat location to another, and meeting so many really nice people.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)