Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Gary, I was never bored playing...I always made it a point to keep myself entertained first, and the audience second. If I'm "interested", then quite likely, my listeners will be as well. Being able to sight read has also given me quite a large repertoire to choose from so boredom is not an issue.

I have played the "entertainer" role quite a few times in the past, and my many years as a Yamaha clinician demonstrator often had player/entertainer rolled up in one package.

Singing was never a love of mine, although I am told I can sing pretty good...I think it has to be a real passion before it becomes a performer's main feature. I just don't love it enough.

You are one of the fortunate singers, for at your age, many singers start to have issues, especially with wind (hopefully not from both ends), but, everyone is different, and some singers last well on in to their 80's and more.

The proper technique saves our chops, whether they be vocal or keyboard playing...I was lucky to have many years of classical training early on, which really helped with my wrists and hands staying in good shape. I wouldn't want to try and count the hours of playing I put in over the years, but, fortunately, I have no carpal tunnel or joint problems, again, probably due to the proper technique learned at the beginning.

I may go back to gigging, but it won't be a financial decision...it will be because I'd just like to perform again. Right now, I'm enjoying retirement too much to consider working.

Ian

And, therein lies the difference between a musician and an entertainer. As an entertainer, my first objective on any job is to satisfy my audiences - that's why they pay me. I don't play what I want to hear, I play and sing what they want to hear. They're the customer/consumer, I'm just the entertainment provider.

As for retirement, the only reason I would retire, which may, unfortunately, be a lot sooner than I wish, is for health issues. My lungs are shot from asbestos, my heart and joints have taken a nasty hit from Lyme Disease, but my mind is still sharp as a marble. wink

vive la différence,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)