Brickboo is 100% correct, of course. I myself am often guilty of taking 'chordal shortcuts' if 1) I don't know the tune very well, or 2) if it's a very simple tune (some tunes sound downright weird if you try to use jazz changes and transitions, etc).

One of the problems with performances on this particular board is that arrangers don't lend themselves very well to precise chord changes. If there are three changes in a measure, an arranger is just not going to play them all. It's what you get for letting a computer make the musical decisions for you. I sent Russ a copy of 'Round Midnight (Thelonius Monk) a while back; not great but I'd sure like to hear someone try it on an arranger keyboard (in style mode). First of all, it would be interesting just to see how many of Monk's chords (all common, standard jazz chords, btw) the arranger would even recognize.

I'm sure you've all met people who didn't realize they were dumb. Well substitute talentless for dumb and you should be able to recognize their counterparts in the music world. Of course, as long as you keep going 'GREAT JOB', they'll NEVER know, right? Anyway, I suppose feelings are more important than truth, and civility trumps honest, constructive criticism.

BTW, Russ is so correct in pointing out that we tend to base our responses (or lack, thereof) on the popularity of the musical poster (ie. 'whoops, can't tell ol' whats-his-name how bad he is, he's such a nice guy and besides, he's helped me out a couple of times). OTOH, 'if you can't say anything good, don't say anything' works too.

Here is a link for those who wish to progress beyond triads in C. After you learn HOW to play them, then you just need to learn WHEN to play them.

http://www.apassion4jazz.net/jazz_chords.html

BTW, Russ couldn't fake a clunker if he wanted to. Muscle memory would kick in and those beautiful chords would sneak out anyway smile .

Peace and Love,

chas