Originally Posted By: Diki

But I think that altogether too many that see a 'Chord Sequencer' on an arranger think to themselves 'Chord TRACK', which several arrangers have had, or still do. You program, IN ADVANCE, the chords to a tune, and then use this 'chord track' to play the song for you. No interactivity, no improvisation, barely better than playing over an SMF, if the truth be told.

the only 'truth to be told' is that a 'chord sequencer' and a CHORD TRACK are two DIFFERENT tools for DIFFERENT purposes. I have tried to explain what a chord track is, several times, but it seems you just don't grasp it's usefulness. As a composer I think the Chord Track is essential. Yeah, it writes the whole backing track harmony in step time. So what? You make it sound as if it's a useless chore. Band in a box does exactly that: you enter the chord progression, the fills, the intros, in fact the whole song structure, and the whole band plays back the style according to the progression, without mess or mistakes.

The 'chord looper' (and I agree with you on that one, it should be called that, not 'chord sequencer') is a useful tool for performers. Fair enough. Composer vs performer: two different worlds, with different preferences.

And, as I have said it many times, ONLY Yamaha keyboards have a 'chord track'. Korg and Roland don't. Neither does Ketron, the last time I looked.

Technics used a chord track too. I have read in detail all the manuals of all the major arrangers that have been built in the last 10 years.

Edited by arranger_yes_pc_no (01/17/11 03:18 PM)