Perhaps it is the name of the feature that confuses many people into thinking it is something different to what it is...?

'Sequencing' always seems to imply doing something in advance. You 'sequence' a song, you 'sequence' your set list in advance, etc., etc..

Perhaps people would understand the feature better if it was called a 'chord looper'?

Loop pedals are all the rage with the solo guitar set. Most people know what a looper pedal does... you play into it, hit play and it spits back out what you just played in, looped up so it repeats perfectly (if you played it right to start with). You then play over the top of what you played, maybe even add to the loop, whatever.

This is what I think people would expect from a feature called the 'Chord Looper'

But I think that altogether too many that see a 'Chord Sequencer' on an arranger think to themselves 'Chord TRACK', which several arrangers have had, or still do. You program, IN ADVANCE, the chords to a tune, and then use this 'chord track' to play the song for you. No interactivity, no improvisation, barely better than playing over an SMF, if the truth be told.

Nothing could be further away from a REAL 'Chord looper'. This inputs the chords AS YOU PLAY THEM and will spit them out 'in sync' with what you are doing. Add to that that ONLY the chords get recorded (if you set it up this way), so repeated iterations of the loop don't have to be in the same variation, or even the same style! Try THAT with an audio looper! You don't have to kick fills in the same place, only the chords get repeated. Then, with a single button press, it gets out of your way, and you are back seamlessly playing new chords (a bridge, a vamp, a lead-in to the next song) and perhaps even starting to record the NEXT set of changes for you to play over.

There's NOTHING 'sequenced' about it! It is all done on the fly, with only one more button push than you are currently using.

I say we should start to use Chord Looper until people begin to understand what it can do for you. wink