Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Just depends on how you use your keyboard I guess.

But for the home studio, or living room 76 rules! If I decide to do one with only 61, then I will add the lower kbd. (Yep Piano is still screwed)

I'll wait to see what comes along..for now I'm happy with what I play.

Lee S.

Exactly, Lee...it's how you intend to use the instrument.

My gigs are 99% arranger, so 61 keys are perfect for me...also, I don't use massive layers in the RH; two sounds are enough.

In the LH I rarely use a sound at all, unless I want a particular sounding pad effect and/or brass stabs...I program/edit my styles to provide the strings/synthpad and to do most of the work...I rarely use a piano or E.Piano in the left...I like to give my music some space and room to breathe.

For studio, 61 still does the job, because for piano parts, I can midi up my 88 note digital piano...I find playing full (solo) piano on semi-weighted keys a real downer.

On a 61 note arranger, "piano" is only a melody sound, and only one of many sounds I use.

I'm not putting down anyone for using 76 semi-weighted key'd arranger...it's just not for me, or for my needs.

That's not to say my needs won't change, but I use what I need for the present, not what I imagine I might need in the future...when that time comes, I will adapt as I always have in the past.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-08-2010).]