Yamaha have successfully got online sites from distributing their current styles. If there's no such thing as copyright, how do you suppose they accomplished that feat?

Take a look in the fine print of your manual, or search through their website carefully. You'll usually find an EULA that specifies how and where you can and can't use their styles. As I've been saying for a while, enforcement varies, some police them carefully, especially the latest, greatest that they put out. And enforcement is problematical, with MIDI data being so universal. Very tough to prove that a style is their own work if any editing is done to it. But audio is as easy to prove as DNA, and the same laws protect audio in the form of mega-hits as does a loop library.

C'mon, James, you can't be serious. You know that your sample libraries for sale are protected by the same intellectual property rights as the loops in a style. Are you saying then that anybody can copy your commercial sample libraries, and there's nothing you can do about it? If so, send me some examples, and I'll sell them and use them without paying you a penny...

There's an AWFUL lot of wishful thinking about this subject going on here, and VERY little educated opinion. If you don't know copyright law, if you don't know whether something is protected by law or not, do you think it is a good idea to just go ahead and PRETEND that there is none?

Try contacting Ketron directly, ask them if it OK for you to copy the audio data from their Live Drums styles and use their styles for free, without buying a Ketron product whatsoever... Best of luck with that one!

Look, I can come round to your house and steal your stuff, I can even blog about the fact that I am going to do it, and that I don't believe that there is any law against it... but that won't change the fact that I will get arrested for doing it (if caught), and pleading ignorance of the law will not get me the tiniest break. I'll still go to jail, and deservedly so.

And I am appalled at the act of reading a provider of copyrighted content somehow claiming that there IS no protection for anybody else's work. Somehow, I have a feeling that James would vigorously defend his OWN rights to his labors, if infringed, but somehow doesn't think that applies to HIM if he wants to steal something...