Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
As I understand it, styles are copyright free to the PURCHASER. Yamaha have successfully closed down several sites that were distributing their styles before they went stale ( ). If, as you claim, there is NO intellectual property rights to them, what right would they have to do this..?

But my original point was to inform that there are MUCH more stringent rules about the copying of audio files than there is style DATA. Essentially, the law applies fairly equally between say a drum loop from a keyboard and Madonna's latest hit. For a start off, it's VERY easy to prove a waveform is the original. It's as easy as a fingerprint or DNA. No dodging the issue with questions about whether you COULD have come up with the same MIDI pattern yourself. Audio is unique.

And the fines and penalties for doing so, should the original maker of the audio (or their lawyers) decide to come after you (say if you had a hit with something made from it), are pretty draconian. Of course, it is still up to YOU how you use the technology... But if you think the issue is bullsh*t, ask The Verve where the money from their hit 'Bittersweet Symphony' went.

There's probably nothing to stop you putting cracked copies of all the VSTi's on your MS, too. But make no bones, you put stolen Ketron audio styles on this thing, you are doing no different. All that remains is your own conscience. And maybe the terrifying thought that, IF you have any success with it, one day someone could come knocking on YOUR door...

They'll be knocking on your door indeed, and not on Dom's door, and that was the point you where making all the time, so why this sudden change?

But tell me, how can there be a copy right on a Samba or a Beguine, noboddy is owner of those general styles. And if Yamaha makes a songstyle for Michael Jacksons beat it, do they pay royalties to The owner of that Music. I bet they don't as the style is not an exact copy of the musical piece. Just an interpretation.

And has Korg ever payed Steinway for using samples of their Piano's?

Sure there have been lawsuits about using riffs, but i disagree that its steeling when using a few notes with an intense harmony from another song. Just tell me how many Poalka's are there? and noboddy is talking about steeling thins there.

Its a thin line mate... i would not spend to much money on law cases if i was Ketron but spend the money on promoting their own stuff.

Someone that will buy a mediastation would never buy a Audya as those systems are totally eachothers opposite..

But people telling everyone how good their Audya styles sound on Mediastation might make other people that are less technical buy Ketron instead of Yamaha. Its how Micro$oft got a big company.

[This message has been edited by Bachus (edited 02-15-2010).]

http://keyszone.boards.net