Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Americans are too dumb to learn the metric system........except for the drug dealers. They all know what a 'kilo' is .

chas

You see, chas... that's how you get Americans to adopt the same standards used by the rest of the world... You refuse to pander to their inability to change. If no-one would ever sell us anything except in decimal quantities, especially the things we are addicted to (oil, fatty foods, chocolate ) we would convert in a flash!

Look, I come from the generation that went from pounds shillings and pence to 100 pennies in a pound (see? There IS something you guys had decimal right from the start. Why you didn't go all the way beats me!), and from miles and yards to meters and kilometers. It can be done. If the English can embrace the decimal system, surely the Yanks aren't prepared to let us beat them at something so simple?

As dumbed down as high school is getting over here, why anyone wants to figure things out in feet, inches yards and miles and gallons and quarts (if a car does ten miles to the gallon, how much do we owe the Saudi's to drive the perimeter of an acre plot of land? ) beats the bejeesus out of me.

Maybe we all think that American Business will use our ignorance to simply jack the price up on everything? But hey, they're doing that now, anyway. Seen the SIZE of a candy bar lately?