Hi Ian,
know what you mean.
Almost a case of how many different variations can we come up with for a single style.
Maybe they're trying to :
if variation A doesn't work for a particular song, variation b, or c , or d might do the trick, which is ok if the user is able to modify the style or only needs a single variation. haahaa
I'd luv some sort of a phrase data base, something similar to what the kn's had ( easy composer) basically dial a phrase.

Style assembly is brilliant ( I think it's even easier in the korg than it is in yamaha's) but there's no real way of keeping track of the phrases short of maybe creating multipads out of them. My case I have to go thru a number of similar type styles, till I find the phrase I'm after??
If you've go a simpler solution, luv to know about it.
I'm currently trying to incorporate some BIAB phrases into some styles. The 2 bar loops don't always work too well.
It does generate some interesting intro's & endings. Not on a par with arrangers , but still useable.

That's a brilliant term "Frankenstyle" luv it. Do you have any objection to me using it? Really does descibe what we do.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I hear you, Rikki,

My biggest issue with any arranger styles is the way the style transitions from Variation "A"(or 1)through to Variation"D"(or 4).

Most times one or two of these sections doesn't seem to even belong there, or it get so rambunctious I can't use it in a song at all.

That's why I assemble my own styles, or Frankenstyles as I've always been calling them, and I mix parts from within the style, or donated by other styles, until the style does a nice smooth and logical change from one variation to the next.

I even arrange the variations so that the first two, "A" and "B", correspond to verse 1 and verse 2, and variation "C" becomes the bridge and/or chorus, finally winding up with variation "D" for the final verse; basically the way a song is usually arranged.

I even use the intros as 4 or 8 bar variations, maybe if a song has a special section where the drums drop out or only the guitar plays...and many times I change an intro to become a fill/stop, because when you go to an intro while playing, it does it's cycle, and then the style goes back to the section you were on beforehand.

Style assembly is very easy to show someone, but very hard to put into words on a forum or in an email, so most of my style assembly/editing tutorials are done at my followup clinics.

I can spend hours editing and assembling styles...it's very easy to do on the Yamaha once you get used to it, and there are probably better style editors on the competitor's products, but, most people I show how to do the procedure, have no trouble at all afterwards...I often get newly assembled styles from my clients, and I'm happy to say, they do a great job of them.

But, there are still quite a few people who are content to buy or get third party styles rather than roll their own...many buy a new arranger just to get new styles...I only buy if I really like the newer sounds.

I think style creating/assembly/editing is a lot fun and very interesting....I can understand why you like it so much.

Ian

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022