I am still undecided whether to buy my brother's Imac, which I am using. By the way, the keyboard failed. The x and c keys quit working. New keyboard = $50.

I did get that remote Windows app thing that I wrote about in the original post to work on the Imac. The tech guy gave me a link to a Mac workaround. But, problem is, I can't print, I can only view. So, not ideal.

For a fix for now, I am considering buying a cheap laptop. I have heard so many horror stories about Vista, I am hesitant to buy anything that does not have WinXP. Windows 7 might be fine but it's not out yet.

I can buy a Toshiba 10.1" netbook for $435 locally and it has WinXP on it. Intel Atom processor N280. 1gb ram, 160gb drive.

But I can buy a refurbished Toshiba with 17" screen for $350 (due to a $50 rebate) but it has Vista on it. Toshiba Satellite L355-S7905 Laptop Intel Celeron 585 2.16GHz, 17” TFT, 3GB, 160GB, DVD SuperMulti, 802.11b/g, Windows Vista Home Home Basic.

I have been told that you really can't wipe out all remnants of Vista if you try to install WinXP on it after reformatting. Plus, I'd have to buy WinXP.

The only reason I would consider buying the Vista laptop is because it has 17" screen versus 10.1" for the other. Then again, the little netbooks are small and handy to haul around.

Another concern is buying a laptop that might run hot. Some have had that problem.

Hmmm... not having a DVD drive is a hassle. Netbooks I have seen do not have one. So, that would make me lean toward the 17" laptop, which has DVD. But, it has Vista. Darn.

Any comments?

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 08-31-2009).]