I think one or two of you have misinterpreted this posting, so I will say it in a different way.

When I first started playing nursing homes 15 years ago, I was green and raw, as in play the job, collect your check, and on to the next gig. Over the years, I began to understand the real meaning of what I was doing. Then someone said to me that “every song I play” brings back a memory to someone. I took a closer look at the people as I was playing for them. Sure enough I could see a smile on some of their faces, sometimes vague sometimes larger than life. These were the semi-conscious…the alert ones made it obvious. Nowadays I go into a home and make a game of trying to connect with as many as I can on a “one-to-one,” even though I’m playing for a large audience.

A tip here for anyone who could use it. I never play a song that at least 90% of the listeners don’t recognize...there’s plenty of them to do in one hour. And I NEVER, NEVER play a song simply because I like it, or to throw something different into the mix.

That said: the reason for the posting was NOT to complain about playing for elderly people. If you’ve just read the above, then I’m sure you’ll understand my point: I work extremely hard for that one hour…I don’t just “throw out songs!” I put them into a “mood” and don’t let go until I’m done.

That’s what I do with a bit of luck. Without “a bit of luck,” I get the staff who start talking loud while I’m playing something mellow, and those staff who live in their own world and see nothing outside of their nails need to be done, etc. In short, these are “distractions” to the people no matter what form they come in (including Holy Communion during your performance). Ever try listening to Classical music with those kinds of “distractions.” Not very enjoyable!

Many of these folks have nothing to do all day. If you can give them one solid hour of good music to get their minds off the boredom, then you’ve done your good deed for the day!

Anyhow, the thread went off already. I’m curious about what some of you experience as your own “frustrations” in playing Senior houses. Nothing more than that if you don’t mind. Particularly no “Once you begin to lose sensitivity to the seniors and the job becomes the important issue it may be time for you to find other places to bring your talent” messages.

Many of you here, I believe are doing what I’m doing. I’d like to hear from you. I’d like to get a exchange of ideas going for all of us to benefit.

Lucky