I was playing a senior care facility today when I had one resident (probably medicated) stand up and get right in my face for minutes blocking my view of the audience. This is not the first time, and I realize most don’t know what they’re doing so I lay the blame on the staff who are sitting around in their own world and doing their own thing and not paying attention.

But I’m being paid to entertain so I‘m dedicated to what I do, no different from the rest of you.

I tend to get a little bothered when things like this happen when they don‘t have to. What are YOUR OWN senior care facility annoyances that don’t have to “happen” when you’re performing? And how do YOU deal with it?

Here’s some of mine:

1) attendants who sit there reading a book or magazine while one of the residents gets up and stands right in front of you and is about to trip over the wires or fall on your keyboard

2) attendants who talk loudly amongst themselves or who enter the room and start talking across it while you’re performing

3) attendants who interrupt the flow of the music for the resident to serve them the customary cake dessert. It takes time to engage the concentration of the listeners and then you lose it when they’re interrupted for sweets.

4) AD’s who forget to submit your invoice and it takes you two months (when you don’t get a check in the mail) to find out.

On #3 above, I’m undecided on this one…I could be wrong. What do you think?

Lucky