Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Donny, I am afraid that arranger players aren't generally any better (or worse) that WS players, on the whole...

All this shows is just how difficult it is to make an entire piece of music on keyboards, and make it sound like real players (if that's what you are after). Sad truth is, most players that CAN make a good demo on an arranger, if you stripped out the arranger parts, would sound no better... The arranger IS what is making us sound good, not us!

But for me, the main thing this shows is how unprepared, ill-equipped and unskilled most arranger players (OK, WS players too!) are at making styles. Anyone who lightly tosses off the excuse for a poorly styled arranger of 'You are supposed to make your own' is living in a fantasy world. Without great styles we are at the mercy of whatever our main musical skills are. For most keyboard players, that is playing the piano part and little else (OK, the organ part too!).

Few of us are great drummers, or imitators of great drummers. Few know how to phrase and voice brass parts well. Few can lay down a great bassline (especially one that works for an arranger). And so on and so forth. But style making involves all those skills.

What primarily amazes me is that those few arrangers that expect the user to make the styles can't even find ONE good styler maker to voice their own product. For good money, no less. Why they expect the users to be able to do something they can't even get a professional to do beats me

Exactly right......With the XS one CAN make styles without being a bass player, horn arranger, drummer etc, Thats the beauty of it for me. If one cannot create original works using 6000 editable arps and be able to simply create ones own Arps using just rhythm and having the ability to adjust the timbre to the waveform/LFO filtering level (which the Fantom does even better)

The idea for me is still NOT to have to play Bass parts, horn parts, guitar strumming parts, classical arps.,,...I just need to assemble then adjust velocity curves and eight parameters that can be saver per ARP. That a lot of style creation HP. AND the MIDI implementation is what I'm used to. ANd I will have 88 keys and not wonder if the board is in the truck when I need it.

And as a bonus through a generous agreement with Yamah as an employee of a dealer I can sell it in a year for more than I paid for it) Both the Tyros and the XS will be parked money not lost money.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA