A lot of it also has to do with the brand of laptop you buy. Vista runs great on some.., but others have so much extra bull&^@! applications running in the background specific to your brand of computer. I would advise people stay away from the HP Pavillion dv9XXX series. There are so many stupid programs that run in the background (so if you got one start shutting those dumb programs down). Also some of these background programs can be huge too.

We've shut down many programs running in the background that aren't needed and our laptop still has trouble doing simple things. I was told not too long ago that the Pavillion line's video card DESTROYS your CPU power..., HUGE CPU HOG! Our HP lags running IT'S OWN built in camer and software!

I'll have a MAC very soon (by the end of this month).... Redoing my entire home studio and the mother brain will be a MAC.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.