Vista and music...first and final impression.

Posted by: Fran Carango

Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/03/09 01:16 PM

NO..NO...NO?

Surprise!!!! It gets a thumbs up from me..

I know..we all heard the downers and worries from those that were suppose to have tried and dumped Vista...Maybe it has changed, or they didn't know what they were talking about...

I am running Vista Premium on my new Toshiba(laptop)..With a Intel Core2 Duo (P8400) processor...and 4 gigs of ram...

This laptop is out performing any PC I own or used...and I have the considered best Pentium 4's (the pre 2006 version) on my Compaq Laptop and my HP desktop..

I listened to all of the compatibility issues from many folks...stating that Vista just plain ole doesn't work with my favorite music programs......Well!!!!!I am here to say...all except one of my favorite programs work great on this Vista machine...I have taken caution where stated from software manufacturers that Vista will not run the software...and used XP compatible mode...with great success...Also a little advice...try to install even if they state the software will not run on Vista...Manufacturers lie..

As an example...Sony (bought out Sonic Foundry) says the pre Acid Pro 6 software will not work with Vista.....Why do they say this...because they didn't and won't make money on this older software..They sell under the Sony label...they want you to up grade...

I have installed virtually (pun intended)all my soft synths, synth fonts, DXi's and VST's...Forte , and scores of my older software...all are running fine..
Also the PG Music programs, and all my newest acquisition software (YES I buy my software)...MixCrat4, Pianissimo,Bandstand etc..

The lone exception...and Roland says they no longer support this software now or in the future....My Roland/Edirol Super Quartet..a bummer...but even though I like it ..I can do without...My Hyper Canvas, and Orchestral Roland synths work fine..

My suggestion...stop worrying and avoiding Vista...Listen to a couple other folks here on Synth Zone that said Vista is fine and is getting a bad rap....I totally agree

BTW: you guys that are using soft synths are going to love the low latency that this Intel Core2 duo and Vista Premium..are providing...

A side note, My Native Instruments Bandstand, struggles to run on my Pentium4 machines, but runs smoothly on this Toshiba..

I am a happy camper

Almost forgot a biggy...I have the original Native Instruments B4...and It won't run on my Toshiba..

NI won't support this older version..they want us to buy B4II...and ...they got me..I will have to bite another bullet and get the new version..even though I always like the original more....If someone knows how I can get the old version to work with Vista...I would appreciate it....
I got it to work as a stand a lone, but not as a plug in..Using XP mode, but it hangs up(not stable)...
If not I have a organ module that came with MixCraft4..that is my second go to choice for software organ..

More later...
Posted by: DonM

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/03/09 01:30 PM

Too late, Fran, Windows 7 is right around the corner. You'll have to do it all again.
DonM

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/03/09 01:42 PM

Don, I know....but the way I look at it..I have a powerful laptop now that is running well..so No need to concern myself with "7"..
Posted by: abacus

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/03/09 03:17 PM

Hi Fran

I currently use Windows 7 Beta 1 and I can assure you that while there are small problems, (As you would expect with a Beta version) it smashes Vista into a pulp.

Additionally it runs well on older machines, and is as fast if not faster then XP, as well as running programs that Vista doesn’t.

Contrast this with Vista, which hogs resources, requires most hardware to be upgraded, and is a real dog in the performance stakes, means you might as well forget about it and wait for the final release of Windows 7 due in 2010.

Regards

Bill
Posted by: DanO1

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/03/09 04:01 PM

Fran,

I want to know how vista handles jazz chord voicings in real time ?

just kidding diki...

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/03/09 04:15 PM

Bill, What programs will not run on Vista Premium?

I have had nothing but success...and speed wise..it is faster than my XP/Pentium4..

I know Vista uses resources more than XP, that is why I run 4 gigs of ram...

If Windows 7 is going to be faster..I can't wait..

Sorry, but my on hands experience....There are no obstacles for me with Vista Premium..

Maybe you guys have not been using the updated Vista packages..

Dan, I did notice a problem with rooted chords when playing back sequences into a PSR keyboard..
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/03/09 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
Fran,

Forget Vista, I want to know how FRAN handles jazz chord voicings in real time?

chas

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/03/09 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Forget Vista, I want to know how FRAN handles jazz chord voicings in real time?

chas

Now there is my strenght...I was taught the correct way....on accordion..
Posted by: Diki

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/03/09 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
Fran,

just kidding diki...

The day a simple chord like a sus4, a dim or an aug is considered 'jazz' is the day I give up music! Heck, even COUNTRY uses THOSE!

Back OT, I think Fran is having a better time of it now that Vista has been out for quite a while. I am sure his opinion of it would be similar to those others he doubts, were he to adopt it so early...

It would be interesting to see if those older VSTi's run on a modern Intel Mac, Bootcamped into XP...
Posted by: Kingfrog

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/03/09 05:24 PM

I just spent all day friday removing Vista Premium from the only machine we have on the LAN becasue the other XP machines would not print through it relibaly and all those stupid Vista pop ups asking if we wanted to continue the operation.....But the major problem was NETWOK integration with three XP PCs on the wireless and on Studio on the LAN which is usually no Internet connected anyway.

Microsoft knows they have a bummer and I'll wait for Windows 7 SP1 before we switch out.

That said there are many people on the Cakewalk Sonar forums using Vista just fine.
Sometimes the reputation is worse than the actuality.

If its not broke and I can run everything I need I see no reason to switch OS. I don;t do firmware upgrades either unless it fixes something I am needing to work or gives me something I wanted featurewise.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 02-03-2009).]
Posted by: keybplayer

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/04/09 05:20 PM

Fran, welcome to the club! I got a laptop recently too (they ALL come with Vista nowadays by the way ), and mine happens to be a Centrino 2 Core 2 Duo P8400 with Windows Vista Premium 64bit, 4 Gigs of DDR3 RAM, 17" Widescreen, a 7200 RPM Western Digital HD, mini Firewire, an eSATA port for eSATA capable external Hard Drives, a DVD RW Drive, built in Wi-Fi, and the list goes on. And all for a terrific price I might add.

Funny.. right after I got my Laptop, Microsoft comes out with Windows 7 Beta 7000 and makes it available to the public for download. Since I've heard such good things about it I went ahead and downloaded it and installed it onto a separately created partition on my Hard Drive. So I'm running a Dual boot setup with Vista Premium and Windows 7 Ultimate. After installing Windows 7 I find I am using it more and more and "rarely" go into Vista at all anymore. Vista is a resource hog of course and I have found Windows 7 much speedier and overall a much better and user friendly experience to work with. It's not near the resource hog as Vista is either which is good. After installing Windows 7 I had to search my laptop manufacturers website for a driver for my LAN port because initially I wasn't able to get online using Ethernet. I got that resolved fairly quickly though. Everything else seems to work fine so far, at least as far as I can tell after having used it extensively for over a month now; and as far as I'm concerned there's really no looking back to Vista for me. When Windows 7 is released (some say by the holidays '09) I will then commence to re-format my Hard Drive and install Windows 7 Professional onto my Laptop. If the price is within reason I may spring for Windows 7 Ultimate instead, but I'll have to wait and see the price difference.

Glad you're enjoying your new rig Fran! But you really need to look into Windows 7 more closely and check it out if you can. It will be the OS of the future and, in my opinion, may cause droves of former Mac owners to come back into the fold. Regardless though, Windows 7 will be "thee" best OS ever from Microsoft and the sooner you get in the thick of things with it the better in my opinion. Vista will most likely hang around for quite a while and may get a couple more service packs, etc., but soon there is going to be a huge paradigm shift towards Windows 7 and you don't want to be left behind, if you know what I mean.

All the best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 02-10-2009).]

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/04/09 05:58 PM

Mike..I have no problems with Vista Premium...I am running a similar laptop to yours...but 13.3" screen...

And now I even have more good news...My older version of B4 is up and running..I had to do a little back dooring with the dll files..

Also for you guys that think Vista is hogging to many resources..set your CPU to background services...

My motto today..."If it ain't broke...don't fix it"..
Posted by: squeak_D

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/05/09 05:40 AM

A lot of it also has to do with the brand of laptop you buy. Vista runs great on some.., but others have so much extra bull&^@! applications running in the background specific to your brand of computer. I would advise people stay away from the HP Pavillion dv9XXX series. There are so many stupid programs that run in the background (so if you got one start shutting those dumb programs down). Also some of these background programs can be huge too.

We've shut down many programs running in the background that aren't needed and our laptop still has trouble doing simple things. I was told not too long ago that the Pavillion line's video card DESTROYS your CPU power..., HUGE CPU HOG! Our HP lags running IT'S OWN built in camer and software!

I'll have a MAC very soon (by the end of this month).... Redoing my entire home studio and the mother brain will be a MAC.
Posted by: cassp

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/05/09 06:36 AM

Fran, I'm glad you've found something to crow about. It's been a while since we've read so much from you.

Cass
Posted by: Nedim

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/05/09 06:47 AM

In my experience and tonz of other Vista is still a nightmare in the music world,
i dont use it, i am on a Mac but i ordered an HP Bussines Notebook and had it downgraded
it to XP after i tasted it Vista.
Posted by: hammer

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/05/09 09:14 AM

I bought my son a Toshiba laptop, put 4 gigs of ram in it and it still runs like a hog in slop with Vista on it. He has never been able to get it to run without problems. On the other hand I have a new Sony Vaio with 4 gigs of RAM and Vista Premium and it is fabulous. Never a single problem with any software I run on it. Go figure.

Hammer
Posted by: squeak_D

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/05/09 10:05 AM

I do know a lot of HP Pavilion issues were narrowed down to crappy video cards and unstable HP software that had conflicts with the Vista OS. There were some serious failures with the "NVIDIA Graphics". HP even recalled many due to Video card and motherboard failures. Here's my problem.., my computer's serial number wasn't on that list for the recall, but this laptop suffers from ALL of the problems on the list. I know we're not the only ones too. There are many HP Pavilion owners out there who have units that aren't on the recall list but suffer from the same problems that caused the recall.

Looks to me like HP was only willing to fix SOME of their mistake and the rest of us who blew $800+ on these things got a big stick up the (you know what). Then HP releases a major system update that crashed 100's if not 1000's of laptops. Our computer hasn't been running right since that update. Word has it there's a possible class action going to be filed against HP regarding these Pavalions. If so.., our names will be on there

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/05/09 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
I bought my son a Toshiba laptop, put 4 gigs of ram in it and it still runs like a hog in slop with Vista on it. He has never been able to get it to run without problems. On the other hand I have a new Sony Vaio with 4 gigs of RAM and Vista Premium and it is fabulous. Never a single problem with any software I run on it. Go figure.

Hammer

Hammer, what processor is on the Toshiba?

Maybe my Intel Core2 Duo P8400...is the reason my Toshiba is out performing my Pentium4's...
Posted by: hammer

Re: Vista and music...first and final impression. - 02/05/09 06:18 PM

Fran,
I don't remember which processor the Toshiba had but I do remember it was an upper line of processor. It has been a year now and my son has never been able to get it to run much of anything without it hanging or having other problems. The techs are baffled too - probably should have had it replaced.

It is amazing how the various manufacturers have not complied with microsofts OS requirements and expected their products to run Vista. I work at a major national electronics store and sell computers. It is nearly impossible to guide some customers away from the "crap" and send them home with a reliable computer of any type. Many customers come to the store with only a price in mind as a guideline and very often go home with a system that will be a problem from day one.

I still like the Toshiba laptops and wouldn't be afraid to buy one - but my all time favorite has been the Sony Vaio line - they just seem to work for everything.

Hammer