Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
I have 437 jobs booked for 2009. I am in demand, but it doesn't come from sitting on my ass at home and waiting for calls - my point!

Zuki-That's terrific given how long you're been at this...

Q: How much do you sing during your performances?

The reason I ask is because there is an act or 2 in Dayton and a few more in the Pittsburgh market (my home town-family still lives there) that exceed 400 shows per year (one claims to exceed 500). I hear a steady stream of criticism towards these acts because vocally they often aren't at their best. Some AD's have said they almost feel cheated if their voices aren't in good shape when these acts perform for their residents. Frankly, there's more negative chatter about these acts being in poor voice or appearing fatigued on stage than positive remarks about "how busy these guys are..."

I've done as many as 430 shows one year...I'm prone to pretty severe bouts with allergies from time to time that just kills my voice. I've added more and more instrumental material through the years but for me, you get much past 400 jobs a year and its too much. I turn a fair bit of work away because time with my wife & kids is really appealing. For example, in the last 3 years, I've walked away from a few clients on Friday nights because my wife & I love to go watch our middle daughter perform with the high school marching band. We travel to all the away games, competitions and invitationals. Its awesome and I'm not missing that stuff...

Regards-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-13-2008).]