I simply think that a lot of the tension comes from just HOW varied our skill levels are on this forum. It is NOT a 'pro' forum, it isn't an 'amateur' or 'home' keyboard player forum, it isn't for arranger only mode players, nor SMF players, or for live musicians rather than home ones.

We are ALL here. Trying to talk to each other, but often not having the slightest clue what each other means...

There is something about the arranger which defeats the humility that learning to play a traditional keyboard usually engenders. Most piano players, or fledgling keyboard players, are all TOO aware of just how much more they need to learn, of just how difficult what they are trying to do is. They get this from the unadulterated feedback they get to THEIR playing.

Sadly, the arranger, with it's 'do it all for you' approach, often tends to puff up the self-impression of skill of many that can't play their way out of a paper bag without all the style parts running But, back in the deepest recesses of their minds lurks a little voice, which can irritate the hell out of you! But POST what that voice is actually saying, and some of the more defensive can go off the deep end and attack the messenger (who's only saying what they know to be true, anyway )...

You can fool yourself into thinking that holding down a chord IS playing all those parts the audience (or even just yourself) hears, but it AIN'T. It ain't a whole LOT more than simply going karaoke. Play with a real band from time to time... Get your humility the old fashioned way Deal with musicians that WON'T wait for you if you forget to come in at the right time. Deal with musicians that look at you funny if you rush or drag your timing. Deal with musicians that will glare at you if you step on someone else's solo Learn just how far you DO have to go... (or re-acquaint yourself if you USED to know this stuff!)

Then perhaps you won't feel as obliged to attack a member here who simply 'fakes' playing a different way than YOU do...

One thing we have here is a tiny minority of members that ONLY play in live bands (and I'm not one of them!). But they still play arrangers. Now, I know about the financial aspects of using canned backing, but let's face it... are you trying to be a 'pro' arranger player, or are you just trying to be a better musician? Because if it is the latter (one would hope that the majority of us care about the latter, but who knows? ) trying to develop the skills that COULD get you some playing time with other musicians, which is the REAL place you learn and grow, should be a thing of importance.

Minimize your backing, from time to time, in whatever form it takes, and you ARE preparing yourself for that opportunity, when it comes. Subjugate your entire technique to simply working the arranger section to it's best, and I'm afraid you aren't giving yourself the right skills. They ARE skills, don't get me wrong. But they don't really help much when it's time to hit the stage with a real band...