I want to start a new thread so I don't hijack the roland gw8 thread. These are MY views of this topic.

I’m a live arranger player who also used at one time many SMF, but has now turned to mostly live play 90% with the exception of some Latin SMF 10% (merengue, salsa & Bachata) only because I wish that the Yamaha s900 had more variety in bachata, merengue and salsa.

Playing over SMF’s
I find playing over midi files tends to sound a bit confusing. If you’re going to overload a midi that has already good amount of tracks, it becomes confusing. If you have to play over a midi because is almost empty, then you’re better off playing it live to get a full rich sound. If the midi is exactly the way that the song is that you changing it from the original to make it your own and might as well play it live. Two weeks ago we saw a duo playing SMF with a guitarist playing live over SMF and you lost the individual sound of the SMF and heard nothing but drums, bass and the guy’s guitar.

SMF’s same styles
I don't think that styles are exactly the same as SMF. It is very easy to download or purchase a SMF and hit that play button, then to actually learning the song and playing it live, unless you’re the creator of the SMF.

I do find that a person, not a musician that uses SMF simply because he never took the time to learn how to play an instrument is nothing more than a cheap karaoke singer. I have come across people that never learn a simple key of C. They are out playing gigs because they spent a couple of bucks on a keyboard and speakers. I find those people just in it for the money and NOT the love of making music.

My duo has moved away from SMF for the most part because all of the other duo’s trio’s out there are all playing the same SMF from one particular SMF company (Portuguese Music) and we all sound the same, there is no longer individuality.

ONCE AGAIN THESE ARE MY VIEWS

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 10-17-2008).]