When I first read the technical data for the Tyros3 I seriously considered buying a pair of them. (Gotta' have backups!) The cost was not a determining factor one way or another. On the plus side, it has some really neat features, including the ability to connect an external monitor (same as the T2), which can then be used for displaying lyrics. Additionally, the lyrics can be embedded within registrations, thus making selection a matter of a single button push--two at most. That's one hell of an asset, especially for those of us who have age impaired eyesight. And, for some strange reason I cannot remember all of the words to every song that has been produced during the past half-century.

The ability to store huge numbers of style files, midi files and lyrics on the keyboard's HD also seemed the best way to go. Again, lots of information right at your fingertips and with just a couple button pushes anything can be instantly accessed.

The ability to interface the keyboard with the PC, plus being able to transfer information between both systems is also a big plus. This is all done via a standard USB 2.0 connection and supplied software.

The T3's built-in vocal processor is marginal at best for vocal harmony, but keep in mind that this is a little used feature on most keyboards. And, for less than $300 you can purchase TC Helicon's new Harmony-M, which in my opinion, does an outstanding job and takes up very little space.

Now for the downside--at least for me. The keyboard is a bit heavier than I am currently enjoying. Yep, I'm gettin' too darned old to lug a keyboard from job to job that feels like it is made of cast iron. (Sorry Fran.) But, even this would not have deterred me from buying a pair of T3s.

The big downer was that I would be soley relying on the T3 for everything, thereby eliminating the laptop from my setup. My laptop not only displays lyrics and plays MP3s and MIDI files, it's also my primary backup system. If the keyboard were to fail, and you were 50 miles from home with 300 people standing in front of you, the laptop can get you through the day and no one is the wiser. Sure, I could haul the laptop around in the van and hook it up if there was a keyboard failure, but that all takes time.

For now, I'll stick with what I've got. They're not TOTL keyboards--just mid range, but they do the job without headaches. I won't count the T3 out, though. I'll take the time to check it out at the local GC when it arrives in my neighborhood. Then, and only then, will I have sufficient information to consider upgrading.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)