Hi Lee

I mixed quite a few things on SSL and to be honest I thought they were not great sounding - unfortuately I used to live directly opposite the factory in Begbroke (actually my daughter still lives about 100 yds down the road) so it was a shame that I felt that way as who knows, maybe I could've got a proper job :-).

I am sure the K series and AWS900 etc sound much better, but in the end I mainly used ORAM desks as the possibility of using Neve or API on the remix budgets we had was non-existent - either there were'nt any (API) or the record companies specified SSL.

I had the great honour of meeting John East at the original SSL factory in Stonesfield (he was the circuit designer, I believe) one weekend before he moved to Sony Oxford - he used to tweak Bass wiring circuits for a hobby and my friend Phil Mulford had a Roger Giffen(?) Bass modified by John - it was one of those truly great tones.

It's quite weird when I think about it actually, as I lived in a town (still nearby now) that makes Wal Basses and Martin Audio PA, and currently is the home to Focusrite, so maybe it was fate that got me into this business.

Either that or stupidity. . . . .:-)

[This message has been edited by The Insider (edited 08-07-2008).]