Quote:
Originally posted by The Insider:
Zuki - that is not the intention - Dnj also made a point about Hype and the use of the Demo. I am asked to make it sound as good as it can, as an inspiration not a barrier. We push the technology to the limit to show what it can do, and also discover along the way what it cannot.

When I wrote and played the S.A. Sax demo I thought "I wonder if I can make it sound like Michael Brecker" so I wrote a piece that reminded me of a performance I saw of his in 2001 at the Barbican and found that if I played the inflections and chose the right sort of notes,I could get someway there.

We A/B'd it with a recording we had to hand afterwards and it was nice to see it was not a million miles away. for a keyboard. . . .

[This message has been edited by The Insider (edited 08-06-2008).]

The Insider,

I don't know you or what your musical capabilities are but I do know one thing for certain. The demos that Yamaha uses to tout their instruments such as the Tyros 2 and upcoming Tyros 3 are not physically played and recorded on the actual instrument. These demos are done using Cubase, Logic, and only use the instrument as a sound source and nothing more. The demos are then heavily edited i.e. notes shifted, quantized, and even parts step recorded. Why? Because you can't actually play the part on the instrument itself and make it sound anywhere near as good as the demo.

I'm not knocking you for what you are doing, you are paid to make the instrument sound so good that it makes people want to buy one. The fact the customer could never actually play the instrument and sound like the demo is irrelevant to Yamaha. It's called marketing.

I'm curious if you actually had the keyboard version of the Tyros 2 that you did the demo with or did you have one of the rack mount prototype Tyros 2 units Yamaha made?