Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Diki .....have you performed thru the Bose PAS system yet....? Could be a great system with your duo act.

btw where did you play for NYE this year?

I haven't used one personally, but I had a friend who had one (a great keyboard player - no arranger, just solo piano) and just wasn't impressed. They ARE very clear, with what I would call a typical Bose 'sculpted' sound, just a bit lacking in 'presence' and mid-range, but very accurate highs.

I think the problem with them is that the sub carries just a bit too much of the load, and of course it is on the floor, rather than up high, where it can project better. For many, this is exactly what they need, and I can understand many liking them, but in fairness, I am not a big fan of ANY of Bose's stuff... The old Bose 702 series (I think that was them, similar to 802) were incredibly inefficient (you needed a BIG power amp and the processor for a good sound), and most of their home audio is very lacking in mids, IMO.

For reference, I use Mackie HR824 reference monitors at home, B&W monitors at the studio, and JBL SRX series speakers at gigs. I just find that, compared to these standard reference monitors, the Bose's ALL have little mid-range presence, exactly where you need warmth and accuracy for vocals, sax sounds, etc.. But this is just my personal taste. For that 'background', don't interfere with dining conversation sound, the Bose's may be just right. I rarely play that type of gig, though.

My preference is to be right 'in your face' at the dance floor, and I LIKE to drop off quickly, not throw to the back of the room at little change in listening level. People go to the back of the room for a reason... They want to talk to the girl or guy the just picked up on the dance-floor. If the level is the same at the back to what they danced to, they can't talk! (Assuming you are kicking ass on the dance-floor!)

Restaurant, low volume gigs I can see the Bose being perfect. But for more high energy, or 'featured' music, I just don't see them working for me (got to add that!)...

BTW, I played a four-piece gig for NYE, great players (drummer won a Grammy, guitar player is one of the best in the area). My regular guitarist goes to Oregon for the winter (Nov-Feb), so this time of year I get my ya-ya's off with a bunch of different outfits... Mostly live playing (but still all on my G70 - everybody loves the sound of it, especially the piano and B3 sim!). I just feel that playing with others is necessary to keep a reality check on arranger use... It's all too easy to forget what things are SUPPOSED to sound like, rather than what your arranger MAKES you sound like! Still no substitute for the real thing, IMO