Quote:
Originally posted by RobertG:
Scott: I have discovered how the Tyros 2 does not always recognize chords the same as I am thinking of them. As example, to me (F,A,B,E) is what you play when you see G7, technically a G13 with no G.

Exactly! And of which is popularly known as the Bill Evans, left hand 'rootless' voicing for G13. The G is not played by the keyboard player, as it's already covered by the Bass player, or by the bass part auto accomp on the arranger.

Quote:

I couldn't find your posting about chord voicing with Tyros 2. Can you point me to it?

Interestingly enough, I discovered (by accident) that Tyros2 actually supports recognition of an altered variation of the well known and played by jazz players, Bill Evans style left handed : 'rootless chord' recognition (A/B voicings) as of which G13 (F,A,B,E) qualifies.

Bill Evans left hand II-V7-I progression:

'rootless' chord voicing played on piano:
1) F-A-C-E: Dm9
2) F-A-B-E: G13
3) E-A-B-D: C69

'rootless' chord voicings recognized by arranger keyboards (Yamaha, Korg, Technics & Ketron)
1) F-C-E : Dm7(9)
2) F-B-E : G7(13)
3) E-A-D : C69
4) E-Bb-D: C7(9)

Another left hand rootless voicings:

'rootless chord voicing played on the piano:
1) Eb-G-A-D: F13

'rootless chord recognized by arranger keyboards (Yamaha, Korg, Technics & Ketron)
1) Eb-A-D: F13

As you can see (above), the arranger chord recognition version of Bill Evans style 'rootless' chords includes only 3 notes instead of 4. The reason for this limited variation is because the 4 note version (ei: F-A-C-E) is already universally recognized as the root position FMaj7 chord. Removing the 5th (C) is acceptable, because it's considered the least important chord tone, and usally the first tone of a chord to eliminate when chord extensions (9,11,13th) are included. Because these arranger kb variant rootless chords also support smooth II-V7-I voice leading, I spent some time initially to play and memorize the above arranger specific chord progressions in all 12 keys, so they can be easily called up whenever I come upon a II-V7-I chord progression in my music. I forgot to mention that I play all this in "fingered" mode, with both LEFT & RIGHT parts assigned to acoustic GRAND piano. Now I can play two handed piano on the arranger, and include 2-hand full comping chords as well, with the right hand stacking 4th and 3rd above the left hand. Pretty nifty and surprising convincing jazzy sound in auto accomp mode with jazz swing styles.

Quote:

I am not thrilled with the Acoustic Bass sound of the Tyros 2

I wished Yamaha had included a Super Articulation 'acoustic bass' especially for times I want to manually play walking bass patterns with my left hand. On the other hand, I'm quite satisfied with the auto accomp bass 'sounds': mega voice acoustic bass etc. I find that by increasing the volume level of the auto accomp bass part and/or fattening the sound with efx, greatly enhances the auto accomp bass sound.

Robert, I'd really love to telephone chat with you via Skype or by private email, to perhaps share my thoughts & ideas about this in better detail . My Skype id is: Scottyee. Email me privately (address given in my profile) if interested.

Scott