I thought this might be instructional for those looking to buy a new arranger keyboard such as the Tyros 2. For others, you may be able to relate to my plight, or be amused by it.

First some background. I am pianist, trained in classical and jazz music. In college I was a Jazz Performance major. Actually, I started as a Music Education major, decided I didn’t want to teach, switched to Jazz Performance, and then decided that a degree in music would qualify me to wait on tables just about anywhere, and then switched to Marketing in the School of Business. I have professionally played solo piano and in various jazz bands on-and-off again for the past 25 years. For a real living I run a software company. My first keyboard was a Casio Arranger (if you could call it that 25 years ago), followed by a Rhodes 73, a Yamaha DX7-II D-FD with eboard, and a Roland FP-5. I also have a 6’ Young Chang G-185 Grand Piano. In the mid-80s I worked in a music store selling band instruments, keyboards, sound reinforcement, guitars, etc.. I have a wife and two kids (more about them shortly)

After 2 years with my FP-5, which I like a lot, I felt it was time to move on to a cool and groovy arranger keyboard. So I started the traumatic experience of making the right decision. I quickly honed in on the choices of Tyros 2, G-70, or PA1x. How do I make the right decision? Can I really live with 60 keys? Do I have to get another heavy keyboard (FP-5 is 88 keys and weighs 49 lbs)? Which one has the best sound and styles for how I play? Is now the time to buy or are new models about to come out that will do twice as much for half the price? These are the questions you see time and time again on this forum. I had them all. So, I researched and researched, and researched some more. I read every review and opinion I could find, downloaded manuals, stalked every forum I could find (synthzone, svpworld, yamahapkowner, …), visited every manufactuer’s web site about 3 million times. Listened to every sample and watched every video (I think I can now speak german thanks to the videos on piens.com). I live near Philadelphia, PA. Finding a retailer that actually had these keyboards on the floor was very difficult. I spent a lot of time in the UK a few years ago. I was thinking of returning to Hounslow or Poole just to be in a country where the keyboards were on display.

Synthzone was a very helpful resource. Just like that Mac vs. PC war I chuckled at the Tyros vs. G70 crowd and enjoyed the pontifications of those claiming the E80 the best or worst keyboard of all time, months before being available. Scott Yee, DNJ, Craig_UK and Fran Carango are all now celebrities to me.

My obsession well engaged, I came to a conclusion. The superarticulation sounds on the Tyros 2 were just too cool to pass up. Now for the next problem. What kind of speakers? TRS-MS02 with or without Bose 161, Logitech Z5500, or Mackie 450s. Again opinions abound on Synthzone ranging from the TRS-MS02 suck to “you really have to listen to them all to make up your mind” so buy all of them so you can A/B them.

All very traumatic indeed. Now for the hard part.

How do I convince my wife it’s a good ideal to buy a new keyboard that costs over $3,000 with all the related accoutrements? My reasoning included:

- It will help the kids become musicians
- It will help one of our children sing on pitch
- It’s educational
- It will allow me to explore new music
- I’ll sell everything else I own on eBay (kidney, if need be) except for the Young Chang
- I’ll never buy anything expensive again
- You can play it too, dear

Eventually, after a few weeks, I was able to wear her down.

So last week the boxes began to arrive
- Tyros 2
- Tyros 2 Bag
- TRS-MS02
- Logitech z5500
- New microphone
- New cables for microphone
- Adaptors for mic to PA system when hooking into another PA system
- New mic stands for mic and Logitech speakers
- Harddrive

After the first two or three shipments arrived I was told “This is why I hate when you buy these things, you get so much other stuff with it. If I see one more ^%$#%^% box show up at our door you can’t buy anything else for the next three years”. Yes dear, I understand. Response: “Don’t give me that, you got what you wanted”. Yes dear, I understand.

So now I have my Tyros 2. It’s really, really cool. Still wish it had 76 keys. I am thinking about adding the cheap ($199) m-audio 88 key controller. Haven’t figured out how to do that and stay married. The Logitech z5500 won out. The TRS-MS02 sounded better a lower volumes but I found the 500w Logitech more versatile. I even played a job with the Tyros on Sunday. “See dear, it will pay for itself in no time”.

It’s got more buttons then the space shuttle, but it sounds cools. The one kid still can’t sing on pitch. I guess I just haven’t got to that part of the manual.

I have started to sell stuff on eBay, my telescope was first to go. Hope I can keep my kidney, I kind of like it.

[This message has been edited by RobertG (edited 06-06-2006).]