Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
...I'm curious how you're gonna approach arranger playing, of which obviously requires an entirely playing approach than traditional keyboards. ...I assume you've read my postings about the Bill Evans style jazz (rootless) piano chord voicings ...whatever classical & jazz pianistic skills I acquired years ago, have now gone up in smoke, ... and keeping your audiences entertained = $ bucks) with your Tyros2, don't forget to keep your piano chops in shape as well.
Scott

Scott: I have discovered how the Tyros 2 does not always recognize chords the same as I am thinking of them. As example, to me (F,A,B,E) is what you play when you see G7, technically a G13 with no G. Usually, the bass on the Tyros is not too far off, so it sounds OK. BTW, I am not thrilled with the Acoustic Bass sound of the Tyros 2 and will be looking for alternative samples.

I couldn't find your posting about chord voicing with Tyros 2. Can you point me to it? I saw one from you about Ketron.

My approach to the arranger is to not think of it as a piano, but as a band. Melding sounds and rhythms that you couldn’t do solo. The Super articulation voices adds a whole new dynamic if you use the proper phrasing and play it with the limitations of the real instrument (a guitar can’t go belong an E and a Tenor Sax would rarely go to the range of the top of the keyboard). For me, I am looking into building a variety of styles, as example build a collection of multiple bossa nova styles to choose from. Perhaps I would use multiple styles in the same song. The biggest challenge for me is how to make an arrangement interesting in real time. I think that sequencers and other pre-recording tracks have an occasional role but can damper spontaneity in my playing. Any resources you can point me to about acquiring a variety of styles would be appreciated. George Kaye wrote recently that Yamaha is working on bringing the PRS-A1000 sounds and styles to the Tyros 2. That would be pretty cool.

As for audiences, when entertaining at a function, I believe I am not there to perform, but to entertain. I need to put my musical ego aside and play what will make them happy. That’s what they are paying me for. I’m fine with that as I am grateful that they believe in having a live performer instead of a DJ. Even in these kinds of jobs I will still sometimes play something for my own amusement.

As for chops, I still study classical regularly. I find that the classical playing gives me inspiration for jazz and the same is true in the reverse. Currently, I am working on Gershwin, Beethoven, and Chopin pieces. The Tyros 2 is definitely cutting into my classical practice time.