Took about one year of piano lessons when I was about 10, but didn't practice much. Stopped lessons when I started playing trombone. Played tenor and bass trombone (non-professional) - in orchestras, concert bands and my own dixieland band for over 40 years.

Started entertaining at care centers about 25 years ago - vocal with wife accompanying on piano. But, noticed the bed ridden or dementia residents weren't able to attend.
About 9 years ago bought my first accordion (my Dad had played accordion, but I wasn't interested in it growing up) and started to teach myself to play so I could bring the entertainment to all the residents.

Eventually had a MIDI kit installed in my Excelsior acoustic accordion. Bought an Orla dedicated "accordion" module and then the X1 when it 1st came out.

I use the X1 as a back up band to my vocals. My keyboard technique is limited to playing full chord melodies - not able to ad lib as I could if I were playing trombone. My left hand technique is limited to triggering the auto-accompaniment chords. My audiences seem pleased with a recognizable melody played in rhythm with the accompaniment (I have heard accordion players who don't play in rhythm with the auto-accompaniment) and my voice.