Why could the MB and CPU not be upgraded - it is just like any other PC - As long as the format of the board is the same ie, AT or ATX then that is it - new MB/CPU and probably memory - that is it - Dom will correct me if I am wrong b ut the upgrade of the hardware really should not be an issue...
Hope this helps,
Regards
Mark
Quote:
Originally posted by richard_shiflet:
Mike,
I am no expert on cpu's and mainboards but I will answer what I can and maybe Dominek will give more info. First you mentioned the boot up time of the Mediastation. It takes mine about 1 min and 24 secs to completely boot up and begin playing. That doesn't seem that long to me as my windows xp notebook takes a little longer. What are the average boot times for other keyboards? Anyone care to time theirs and let us know?

I understand your question about the Mediastation's upgrade path, that is very important. In fact I would say its one of the Mediastation's strengths. Mine is the MS X-88 Pro it has an AMD Athalon 64 processor 3000+. That's a pretty powerful CPU to start out with. The Main board is a Epox EP-9HDAI Pro http://www.epox-europe.com/products/view.php?product_id=317
It is a 939 socket. The description says that the CPU can be upgraded to an AMD Athalon 64, 4 fx, 64 x2 up to 4800+ with 2.0 GT hypertransport technology.

Also since the Mediastations parts are mostly standard computer parts, It would stand to reason that the mainboard could also be upgraded if the need arrived. However, since Domenik has designed 12 custom daugther boards to drive the Mediastaion, perhaps he will offer more insight into the upgradeability.