Clif,

As Tom and I pointed out the X1 sounds much better when its master volume slider is at least half or more of full volume scale. Recording with X1's analog outputs is fine and there is only one generation loss due to A/D conversion. If you set your eyes on Yamaha 9000Pro I think that it is better supported in the digital domain than X1 if in fact there will be an mLan plug-in for it. I tested Yamaha PSR9000 and found that it has much cleaner sounds than X1, more suitable for studio recording. From this I infer that its Pro version that has plug-in capability to be even better - I have no doubt about it. As for harmonizer plug-in since 9000Pro already has a built-in unit, it is a waste of money to buy another one and so it is reasonable not to count the harmonizer board as one of its plug-ins. I have yet to find a keyboard with all the features that I like though - Roland JV expansion sounds with Yamaha PSR user-friendly interface, Solton's in your face styles, manual controls and quality GM playback, and Korg I30's real hardware sliders. I guess you cannot have them all in one keyboard.

Paul Ip
from Texas