GJ,

I NEVER had "freeze" problem with my Ketron X4 or the SD1. In my first few weeks with these 2 keyboards, I constantly switch styles while the arranger is running and never had any problem. Freeze up is total unacceptable! But I never had any with X4 or SD1...

GJ, I believe you have a pre-production SD1; it's probably one of the demo unit that was shipped in January after the NAMM show. Upgrading the OS to the production 1.0a should fix the problem. The pre-production OS also displays 1.0a but it's not the same. If you decided to buy a SD1, don't buy this demo unit!

Anytime you change from one keyboard manufacturer to another, it will take some time to adjust to the new operating system. It's like going from a Mac to a Windows PC. There is no doubt that KN has one of the friendliest user interface and Ketron has some catching up to do. But once you learned how the SD1 operates, you will find that there are many convenient features that are not found in other keyboards.

I will try to answer some of your questions:
*Finger mode - there are 4 different modes under F5 (Arrange View), Page 2, F6 -Easy 1,2, & Finger 1,2. There is another setting under F3 (Utility), F5 (Pianist) which defaults to AUTO. It controls whether the chord change is controlled by the sustain pedal.
*Load style from diskette - It can not be done. Styles must be first copied to the hard disk. This is not really a problem, there is 6G of storage on the hard disk.
*Record a song. Press the Song Record button, type in a song name and press Start. Press End when done with recording.
*There is a $20 File Transfer software with a link cable that connects a PC with the SD1 to manage, upload, download files and folders.

George Kaye,
loading style is different from X1.
*The style should be in folder STYLES if the MASTER FOLDER button is activated. Press the BLOCK/LIST button (under RAM STYLE)and select the styles you want by pressing F10, then press F1 to load.
*If the MASTER FOLDER button is OFF, you can load styles from ANY folder by pressing the BLOCK/LIST & SINGLE buttons, then press F10 to load.
*When you load a style from the DISK menu, it overwrites the FLASH styles. But it gives you a warning that it's locked. To unlock, you press F3 (Utility) and F6 (Password), F6 (Unlock).
*Style "Dance 1" - you were in Pattern Edit when you did the copy. When you press Pattern Edit, you can select an existing style to edit or create a new one (F10). You chose to edit "Dance 1" which became your destination when you perform pattern copy.

Ketron_AJ: Regarding the SD1 manual that you are writing. Is this the SD1 final user manual or is it something that you're working on your own?

Dreamer: You are correct that every new keyboard has bugs in their initial release. But this is not the case with SD1, so far there has not been any confirmed bug in OS 1.0a.

Roel: I'm also very pleased with Ketron's engineering efforts in getting new features added to the OS so quickly. Sandro has been very professional and prompt.

Henry

[This message has been edited by Henry01 (edited 08-04-2001).]