Scott, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will explore[play] the Tyros2, when available locally..I never rule out anything comparing it to a previous model...though in the past Yamaha makes very few changes with each new model[like many other manufacturers]..

If I thought any other board did a better job for me then the G1000...I would be using it..Keyboards that I owned that could not replace the G1000 :
Roland EXR5,VA-7,EM2000..
Ketron X1, SD1..
Korg PA80,IS35..
Yamaha PSR2000, PSR2100...
As for keyboards I have played, and still could not replace my G1000[overall]:
Yamaha PSR9000, 9000PRO,PSR3000, Tyros..
Korg PA1x[close, but no reward].
General music Genesys..
Ketron XD9..

Naturally , many of the above are more valuable[monetary], but not in use to me..

For the Tyros2 to be "the best I ever heard" it definitely has to be night and day from the original Tyros..What I have heard from demos, it is not!!

SMF playback..still Roland.

In your face arranger..still Ketron.

All around features..still Korg, followed by Ketron.

All around playability on stage without quirks..still Roland..

Right now the equipment that has a chance of making my G1000 a studio keyboard[I will not "dump" it]...
Ketron Midjay with a very good controller..
maybe the new offerings to come from Ketron..
Maybe the G70[after on hands demonstration].

Maybe Korg future models[they have to address the hard drive/access..get around before it is a consideration]..

Yamaha will have to improve the keys and keyfeel[maybe the Tyros2 is better]..they also have to fix the lame drum kits that are not really compatible with GM[let alone GS]..
The sounds will have to be more realistic[get away from the fake vibrato etc]..

and above all..build a quality unit , and get away from the "toy like" image..