I just recently had yet another opportunity to audition the G70 in a local music store and found quite a few things I really like about it. Unfortunately, there were other things I didn't like as well.

Likes: Terrific keyboard feel and key size (longer than the Yamaha's PSR/Tyros's keys). Both the keyboard's responsive key feel and its 76 keys opened the door to arranger playing inspiration & expression for me making me feel immediately 'at home' playing this keyboard. The only thing I missed as far as the keyboard itself goes was that it regretably does not fully include 'rootless' jazz chord recognition like Korg, Yamaha, Ketron, & Technics arrangers do. Interesting enough though, it does support a couple of the important rootless chord voicings, namely C9 (E1-Bb1- D2) as I recall. Another thing I really appreciate (and surprised about) the G70 is how easy the OS & button layout is to navigate. I was able to find most all the arranger functions I was looking for 'on the fly' without cracking the manual as they all seem to be located just where I thought they would (and should) be). I especially appreciate the G70's physical volume SLIDERS which allow you to quickly make 'on the fly' volume level adjustments for each/any indivual live part. This elimates having to go into a LCD screen menu as the Tyros & PSR3000 do. The other thing I like about the G70 is it's solid built construction (metal vs plastic). The downside is that the G70 is (at nearly 50 lbs) a LOT heavier (and less easily transportable) than the Tyros: 27 lbs. I suspect even a 76 note Tyros would also weigh considerable less than the G70 does.

As much as I really appreciate the likes mentioned above, the sounds & styles failed to inspire me. Like many others here, I too feel the sounds have way too much reverb effects added, causing acoustic instsruments (piano, etc) to sound unaturally artificial. I was especially disapointed in the styles, especially the swing, acoustic jazz & big band ones. They sound not much better (if at all) then the old Roland RA800 (module version of the G800) of which I owned quite a few arranger keyboard generations back. These styles don't breathe or swing (too omph pa omph pa sounding) and sounded (to me) too stiff & repetative (same fill repeating over & over too often). Perhaps if only the G70 had incorporated the Tyros' sounds & styles, the G70 would have been the perfect upgrade solution for me. In the meantime, I'll wait to see if (another?) G70 OS upgrade will address & solve my above concerns. I continue to realize that Chris Halon (formerly with Technics) now heads the Roland G70 development teams so keep my hopes up that he may help influence Roland Japan to implement those impressive arranger features (rootless chord recognition), sounds (esp quality Steinway acoustic piano sample) & styles (best arranger kb swing jazz styles made imho (& produced by Chris Halon himself) of the Technics KN7000. Keeping my fingers crossed (for Roland's sake). - Scott