Scott Yee here. I don't know whether it's just because we SHARE the SAME first name or not, but following my own purchase, audition & subsequent return of this same Logitech system a quite while back) I've come to the same (listed below) observation conclusions Scott Langholff expressed re: the Z5500's & PA satellite speakers + sub woofer systems in general:

1) "there is absolutely no mid-range"

2) "I did pull out the satellite speakers the other day again just to experiment as a 2.1 set-up. I found that when I placed the speakers on the sub . . . that I didn't like the sound at all."

3)" placed the 2 speakers on top of my Tyros aimed directly at my face. I did find that the sound was actually pretty good sitting in front of the keyboard. Set up like this I almost didn't notice the lack of mid-range. I then let my onboard demo play and I stepped back about 6 feet. At this point the sound started sounding thin and small and undesirable to me."

4)"I have played with the EQ and the onboard compressor to tweak it so it sounds as good as I can get it. . . in my mind I can't see how those small speakers will ever fill a room with a sound I like where I am performing, regardless of the size of the room or the number of people. Unless those little satellites are aimed to such a degree that it actually would cover the entire area without any blank spots."

5)"I also found that the sound of the piano is a very noticalbe degradation"

I admit that the Logitech Z5500 produce an impressive overall bass response for such a small system, but the trade-off is no mid range clarity which is so essential to me as a singer (baritone-tenor). I just recently had another chance to both hear & myself play thru the Z550's at the recent FL SZ jam (thanks to Bernie9 for letting me plug the Tyros keyboard into his Z5500's), and with no personal insult intended towards Bernie9), the first thing that struck me was the amount of bass (full bodied but but a bit over emphasized) came thru, yet the mid range presence (clarity) was missing, of which is typical for sound systems which only relay on a a pair of tiny satellite speakers and a sub woofer, but nothing to really handle the overlooked mid range frequencies. I own the Yamaha Tyros MS01 Satellite/SUB woofer type PA system, but because I experience the same problem with it, never use that system alone, but in instead, in tandem with another speaker PA which can better reproduce (and with more clarity) the important mid frequencies which provide vocal presence.

In conclusion, Like ScottL, I too am glad so many of you are enjoying the sound of the Logitech Z550's so much. I guess it's back to the old "different strokes for different folks' thing again.

Scott