I noticed with certain persons posting their recorded songs there is almost a boasting and condescending tone when they are describing how they did it.

Now I have know problem with explaining how a recording was done but it is almost like it is a bragging right and the best thing to record in one take directly from the keyboard with no post editing.

My take on it is if it is a recording that is going to be put up over the Internet, and if a recording is in the hands of the listener for as long as they want it, then putting out the best recording should be the most important thing.

If you were recording a live performance of you at a gig then what the listener gets is understood to be a live gig performance.

Just because the keyboard allows for hard disk recording does not mean IMO that it should be the way to display recorded playing over the Internet. This seemed to have started happening with the hard disk recording feature on the Tyros 2 but there was hard disk recording way before the Tyros 2 in the form of the Genesys. But I did not see the Genesys users feel the need to do what the Tyros 2 users seem to be doing.

If I am going to post a recording, I would use specialized products to do the job. Although there is hard disk recording on some arranger keyboards, that is not the keyboards primary job and there are other tools best used for recording (i.e. computer software).

I would not even start the style playing vs. the midi file/mp3 file debate since we all know that they all do the same thing but the amount of live playing depends on the user. I could do more live playing with a midi or mp3 file that a person playing with styles could do.

At the end of the day, if a person has a recording of someone’s music, he or she really does not care how it is done but only that it sounds good and brings out some type of emotion.

It’s the same concept with a live gig. At the end of the day, persons don’t really care whether you are playing with 0 or 1 fingers or 10 fingers, but as long as the music is good and that you are entertaining them.

This is not to bash any keyboard brand or any person but just an observation.