SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#249247 - 11/25/08 03:31 PM Hammond XK system demo.....
Dnj Offline

http://www.hammondorganco.com/xksysvideo.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8u2MzraPKs

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-25-2008).]

#249248 - 11/26/08 01:53 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I struck a deal with the local Hammond dealer. I put down a deposit and he ordered an XK system. It's in, and I'm going to test it on Friday. I had previously seen Tony demo it at Summer NAMM. If I'm comfortble with it, it will live in my sun room. My B-3 stays at a club and my C-3 is a little rough as a room centerpiece. It's smaller than a B-3 and fits the room better. Plus, for that rare big job, I can use all or part of it out. Did not get a cabinet. Prefer a cherry finished Motion Sound 145. Tested the Leslie against the Motion Sound. Been playing a Motion Sound in the durable "pick-up truck liner" type finish
with a C-1 and like it a lot. Nothing wrong with real tube Leslies. Have had a 145 and a 147 RV for over 30 years. Used both of them with my B-3 for 10 years 6 nights a week at a large hotel here in Lexington.

The XK is great. If I don't decide to keep it, I have agreed to pay shipping here and back to the distributor. I don't think that will happen.

Stay tuned...

Russ "Hammond" Lay

#249249 - 11/26/08 02:13 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
Dnj Offline

Russ Congrats...

Keep us posted would love to hear your thoughts......I was drooling watching Tony Demo it, he must have had some input in its design also dont you think?

#249250 - 11/26/08 02:36 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Russ, you gotta stop, man. You can't be helped until you're willing to admit you've got an addition . Kidding, of course. If we hadn't taken such a bath in this recent market downturn, I'd be right there in 'rehab' with you. The XK sytem sound like a winner and I wish I could justify getting one. However, I'm still holding out for a real cherry 'B' for the home and can't afford both. Besides, I'm still in love with the C1 (especially when I pick it up and carry it under one arm). I still love the Traynor K4 but may spring for a MotionSound 'just in case'. I'll probably go for a vintage 122 (or a pair) if I'm able to score a B3.

At the moment, I'm trying to take advantage of a few real estate bargins so I need to keep a hefty cash reserve. Have fun with the new ax. Let me know what you think. Oh, and send me a picture of a set of drawbars.....I'm so lonely (sorry C1).

chas

So sad about the terrorist attact in Mumbai. I was supposed to be on the last HH build there. I'm about to get on the horn with my good friend who led that build. I'm sure he's quite shaken.

#249251 - 11/26/08 02:53 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....

Chas, I immediately thought of you when I heard of the attack. How totally unnecessary and sad!

Tell your friend I admire your joint commitment and sincerely hope they can avoid harm on future builds.

After the nice note I got from New Orleans, I have put the much larger donation on the fast track. They'll be getting the first much larger check before the end of January (needs to be dated 2009). It's slated as an annual contribution. After all, the 2009 and beyond donation has the same dollar value as the XK purchase.

To be honest, I'm feeling a little guilty about that, in light of the needs of so many less fortunate folks world-wide.

For a year or so, I've been thinking of selecting several guitars, a bass or two, I B-3, 1 Rhodes, one piano and having a massive fire sale with all the rest, and donating the proceeds. I don't need all the stuff I have, and could raise lots of money for those who need it more.

Sadly, I will never be able to do enough; the need is just overwhelming.

Russ

#249252 - 11/26/08 03:22 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:

For a year or so, I've been thinking of selecting several guitars, a bass or two, I B-3, 1 Rhodes, one piano and having a massive fire sale with all the rest, and donating the proceeds. I don't need all the stuff I have....

Uh, let's not get crazy, Russ. I was just kidding you. Sell one of the kids or something, not our 'stuff' .

I love my fellow man but i'm not giving up a single drawbar, especially not a drawbar (or anything attached to it).

Talked to Richard's wife (my HH friend and former neighbor) and he's trying to reach friends in Mumbai. Also the other couple in our former little neighborhood triumvirate, was from Mumbai and travel there frequently. They, of course, have family there. I'm sure they are concerned.

I got an acknowledgement letter from NOLA as well and it sounds like they're doing some good work down there, but why not, with guys like Branford Marsalis and Harry Connick, Jr. pushing it. Have a good one.

chas

#249253 - 11/26/08 04:30 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just got back from N.O., went over Monday for the Saints game. Sadly, had no time to go out and enjoy some music, but after that drubbing of the Packers, I couldn't have got more happy even if Wynton and his family played a private gig just for me..!

GO SAINTS! Who dat...?!

I'll gladly meet the pair of you over there any time you can come down... You are doing a wonderful thing for the players and their families over there, and God willing, maybe the new administration can help correct some of the neglect of the last one...

Ain't no city like the Big Easy...

#249254 - 11/29/08 12:57 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....

Tested it out, and the new Hammond will be in my den next Wed. Only spent about a 1/2 hour with it, so not really qualified to review it fully, but it's just got that "feel".

More later. Got to go to the first gig of the night.

Russ

#249255 - 12/04/08 12:10 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....

The XK-3 and a refinished 145 are now in my den. I worked until 2:00 AM yesterday and then was at the University at 7:00 today, so I just had a minute to turn it on. Pedals don't feel too comfortable, but I rarely even install the pedals on my B-3. The classic Jimmy Smith B-3 style is left-handed bass, but I saw Jimmy and James Moody at the WNOP jazz festival in Cincinnati in the late 80's, and Jimmy could really play tasteful bass, leaving both hands for really tasteful cord inversions.

I'm thinking of moving my old but rarely used Claviniva CPV65 into the room and positioning it for use with right hand.

That will leave a WK-8000 I bought from George last year as my "Office" piano, and an old 1949 M restored for way too much money (think $1300.00 for a $200.00 max instrument)for when I need a "drawbar fix" in the daytime.

For my small office at the University, I have installed my new little NP-30 and a Roland
CM-30, along with a new Cordoba Guitane guitar.

Really like to have instruments at hand during work hours, and like to "switch up" often. I even carry a new Hohner Melodica
in my car so I can pull over and "woodshed"
a tune played on the car radio.

R

#249256 - 12/04/08 01:48 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congrats on your new purchase Russ. I have had my XK Pro System / Leslie 3300 for about a year now and love that I can fit the entire organ and Leslie in the back of my SUV. Wait until you get into editing the tone wheel sets; pretty cool.

But speaking of melodicas, did you happen to notice the new Hammond 44 ? Just last month I purchased a Suzuki Pro37 Melodion and it is a lot of fun to play. I use it in my jazz group as well as the dance/party band I am in called The Modulators . The neat thing about the Hammond 44 is that it has 44 keys and an internal microphone.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online