SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#249257 - 12/04/08 02:18 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

What's the retail on those new melodicas?

#249258 - 12/04/08 02:18 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, Dave....always admired your playig...few real "B" guys around.

Not familiar with the melodica's you are talking about. Mine is a Hohner. Have an older one I got in the 70's, with smaller keys. One of my kids got this one for my birthday.

I'll check out the ones you mentioned.

Thanks,

Russ

#249259 - 12/04/08 02:21 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
captain Russ Offline

I think the one my son got me was $99.00, plus shipping. Don't know the model-it is in my truck at home, and I'm at the office. Comes with the tube to use it flat on top of another board. I was suprised at the number of models Hohner offers. and I didn't know Hammond even sold them.

R.

#249260 - 12/04/08 03:13 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Russ,

Yeah, we old time organ players have to stick together.

The Hammond 44 price is $549.00 at Sound Electra . This may seem kind of pricey, but keep in mind this is a pro piece, designed beautifully, includes an internal mic, and comes with three mouthpiece choices and a very snazzy looking padded nylon gig bag.

Like Hohner, Suzuki has been in the harmonica business for years and have offered a variety of what they refer to as a Melodion. The Suzuki Pro37v2 and the Hammond 44 (made by Suzuki) use special phosphorus bronze tapered reeds that produce a very warm sound but also can get bright and brassy with more air pressure. I made a small bracket out of coated aluminum wire that acts as a boom to hold a lapel mic above the keyboard. When I put my left hand through the strap on the back of the instrument, this bracket slips between my palm and the body of the Pro37v2 and then extends up and above the keys. The mic is wireless so I can stroll anywhere I want and let people see just what it is I am playing. It has gone over quite well. In fact, I really haven't had this much fun playing a new instrument in quite a while. Sounds silly maybe, but true.

In fact, I am trying to figure out some way that I can work for or with Hammond to promote these instruments. "Any kind words anyone feels like forwarding on the Hammond would be appreciated" .

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#249261 - 12/04/08 03:29 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
captain Russ Offline

Dave, Don't know him well, but have visited with Tony Monaco in the Hammond booth at several NAMM's. He was an acquaintence of my friend, Winston Walls-A B-3 Monster who died last year.

I'd be glad to contact him on your behalf.

Let's talk further.

You're an ideal guy to demo for them.

R.

#249262 - 12/05/08 07:47 AM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
captain Russ Offline

Dave-just ordered the Hammond 44. I'll take it out to jam sessions, and use it as a second instrument on my guitar and vibes gigs. Should be GREAT!

Thanks for the "heads up". Enjoyed hearing from you. You're close to the top of my list of players here.

R.

#249263 - 12/05/08 09:20 AM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Dave, how's that pedalboard project coming? I could relate so much to the difficulty of trying to adjust to short pedals. I've just about given up on my PK7a's for that very reason. At $1300.00, I feel like I have to keep trying to make them work but if someone made a reasonable-weight full-lenth pedalboard, I'd buy it in a minute (I know about Hammond's but it's two heavy).

On the Hammond 44, I can't say that I'm thrilled enough about the sound of the instrument to invest in one, but then, I'm not much of a melodian (sp) kind of guy anyway (sorry Russ ).

Anyway, kudos for helping to keep that organ funk alive and well. I'm originally a Philly guy and in that area, for many years, the organ 'combo' (trio/quartet) was the absolute king in the many, many jazz clubs that dotted the area (including Atlantic City and nearby South Jersey). I played them all and often think back wistfully about that time in my life.

chas

#249264 - 12/05/08 11:54 AM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Dave-just ordered the Hammond 44. I'll take it out to jam sessions, and use it as a second instrument on my guitar and vibes gigs. Should be GREAT!

Thanks for the "heads up". Enjoyed hearing from you. You're close to the top of my list of players here.

R.

Hi Russ,

Congratulations! I wish I could afford one myself. I am sure you will enjoy it.

And thanks for the compliment. I appreciate that.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#249265 - 12/05/08 12:06 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Dave, how's that pedalboard project coming? I could relate so much to the difficulty of trying to adjust to short pedals. I've just about given up on my PK7a's for that very reason. At $1300.00, I feel like I have to keep trying to make them work but if someone made a reasonable-weight full-lenth pedalboard, I'd buy it in a minute (I know about Hammond's but it's two heavy).

On the Hammond 44, I can't say that I'm thrilled enough about the sound of the instrument to invest in one, but then, I'm not much of a melodian (sp) kind of guy anyway (sorry Russ ).

Anyway, kudos for helping to keep that organ funk alive and well. I'm originally a Philly guy and in that area, for many years, the organ 'combo' (trio/quartet) was the absolute king in the many, many jazz clubs that dotted the area (including Atlantic City and nearby South Jersey). I played them all and often think back wistfully about that time in my life.

chas

Hi Chas,

My pedal project is going slow actually. The only thing left to do is install the contact strip and electronics into the box I fabricated to cover the front of the pedals. Not really much work left but other more pressing issues have put it on hold for a while.

I lived in Philadelphia when I worked for Ensoniq and loved going to the Baligo Inn. That is where Joey DeFrancesco's dad played and Joey would pop in from time to time as well. It was a very cool, very small and very smoky club.

As for the Hammond 44, I would bet that most keyboardists that try one will fall in love with it. It is a very expressive instrument and the tone will grow on you. Adding a little reverb, maybe some slight delay and even chorus makes for a beautiful sound. But even on its own played acoustically it is so different than what we are used to with electronic keyboards, it can be very inspiring.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 12-05-2008).]

#249266 - 12/05/08 12:45 PM Re: Hammond XK system demo.....
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
I lived in Philadelphia when I worked for Ensoniq and loved going to the Baligo Inn. That is where Joey DeFrancesco's dad played and Joey would pop in from time to time as well. It was a very cool, very small and very smoky club.

Yeah, I remember Ensoniq from Paoli??? Although, I think the Mirage might be best forgotten (not it's place in history, just it's sound ). I also know (or knew) 'Papa John' DeFrancesco. In fact, we shared a stage (well, back to back) once at a concert at the Yellow Springs Art Festival. He had another of his sons (on guitar or sax, can't really remember) with him. It was a great gig. The man was a down-in-the-dirt funk organist in the finest Philly tradition (J.O.S, McDuff,McGriff,'Groove',Don Patterson,Johhny 'Hammond' Smith,Shirley Scott,Dee Dee Sharp - what a time to be around Philly).

Get back to work on that Pedalboard, then figure out how to duplicate it in lightweight plastic (send the prototype to Nord, they'll figure out how to lighten it ).

chas

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online