SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#222796 - 12/13/07 07:55 AM DAMNED SNOW !!!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Two cancellations today because of 5" to 9" forecast starting at around noon !!!
I'm no longer a big fan of snow, but with two early cancellations, we had better get a lot of it !!!
The meteorologists and general public here in Rhode Island ALWAYS panic at the first mention of the word 'snow' ... all because of the "Blizzard of '78" which the media will not let die !!!

Oh well, I guess I'd better get the last of the leaves off the lawn before the storm hits ...
t.

#222797 - 12/13/07 08:09 AM Re: DAMNED SNOW !!!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Two cancellations today because of 5" to 9" forecast starting at around noon !!!
I'm no longer a big fan of snow, but with two early cancellations, we had better get a lot of it !!!
The meteorologists and general public here in Rhode Island ALWAYS panic at the first mention of the word 'snow' ... all because of the "Blizzard of '78" which the media will not let die !!!

Oh well, I guess I'd better get the last of the leaves off the lawn before the storm hits ...
t.

UGHH, that's bad news. Yup Rhode Islanders panic when they hear snow. You should see the supermarkets they are lining up to buy milk and bread.

#222798 - 12/13/07 10:12 AM Re: DAMNED SNOW !!!
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hey Tony , you remember the blizzard of `78 !!

Me too , I was in it

I had an old 75 Ford Pinto wagon , and you could not get that thing stuck !!

Just cruising around with some pals watching everyone else spin out and get stuck , we tried to help , but there was just way too much snow.

The following morning , I even made it to work !

Crazzzzzzy !
Gary 

#222799 - 12/13/07 10:20 AM Re: DAMNED SNOW !!!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Jedi, you are right about the Pinto. I had one for three years in the 70's and never once got stuck in the snow. Oh, wait, it never snowed here during that time.
Merry Christmas anyway!
DonM

#222800 - 12/13/07 11:49 AM Re: DAMNED SNOW !!!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hey Tony, I'm working from home today because we have 4" of snow already which started at 9:00am this morning. We are forecast for 10" with a NorEaster on Sunday.

I hate SNOW!!!! We should all go and visit Tony Rome this time of year.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#222801 - 12/13/07 12:22 PM Re: DAMNED SNOW !!!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas"..

#222802 - 12/13/07 12:30 PM Re: DAMNED SNOW !!!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I plan to drive somewhere to see snow Christmas, if there is any within 200 miles!
It's nasty here today, temp has dipped into the 50's. I'm sitting by the fireplace. Of course I haven't lit it.
Seriously, my oldest son is a policeman in Tulsa. They've been out of electricity since Sunday. Even the Police Station had to run on generator. But that was an ICE storm. Much worse than snow. Snow is pretty. Ice is too, but it breaks everything.
Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas!
For the Australians Ha, Ha, Ha, Merry Christmas. :}
DonM

#222803 - 12/13/07 12:38 PM Re: DAMNED SNOW !!!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by jedi:
Hey Tony , you remember the blizzard of `78 !!
Me too , I was in it
Gary 

I was still living in NY in '78 ... schools were closed, there was virtually no traffic ... there was this big hill in front of our house and parents and kids were sledding down the hill ... I opened my garage door, went down the hill, along my driveway and INTO the garage ... the kids LOVED it (so did I), especially when the sled runners hit the concrete floor of the garage and the sparks went flying ... ...

RI was a different scene with thousands trapped in their vehicles ... there is a photo (which I could not find on the I'net), of a plow on the highway in Mass. and when it reached the state line it made a U turn ... the Mass. hiway was clear, the RI hiway was covered with snow ...
t.

#222804 - 12/13/07 12:55 PM Re: DAMNED SNOW !!!
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Up here in central NY we don't even get the plows out for anything less than 6". I think Syracuse got some kind of dubious award for snowiest US city.
Seriously I used to drive a truck to Scranton Pa. and at the NY border they closed everything at the threat of snow because Pa. didn't have the snow equipment we do because they normally don't get the snow we do.

#222805 - 12/13/07 02:18 PM Re: DAMNED SNOW !!!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Minus 16 Celsius and snowing here on Cape Breton Island...in Canada we have four seasons... early winter, midwinter, late winter and next winter.

It was that cold yesterday I saw some people pushing a house down the street trying to jump start the furnace.

Weather forecasting is easy...if you can't see the house across the street...it is snowing...if you can see the house...it is about to snow.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online