DAMNED SNOW !!!

Posted by: tony mads usa

DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 07:55 AM

Two cancellations today because of 5" to 9" forecast starting at around noon !!!
I'm no longer a big fan of snow, but with two early cancellations, we had better get a lot of it !!!
The meteorologists and general public here in Rhode Island ALWAYS panic at the first mention of the word 'snow' ... all because of the "Blizzard of '78" which the media will not let die !!!

Oh well, I guess I'd better get the last of the leaves off the lawn before the storm hits ...
t.
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Two cancellations today because of 5" to 9" forecast starting at around noon !!!
I'm no longer a big fan of snow, but with two early cancellations, we had better get a lot of it !!!
The meteorologists and general public here in Rhode Island ALWAYS panic at the first mention of the word 'snow' ... all because of the "Blizzard of '78" which the media will not let die !!!

Oh well, I guess I'd better get the last of the leaves off the lawn before the storm hits ...
t.

UGHH, that's bad news. Yup Rhode Islanders panic when they hear snow. You should see the supermarkets they are lining up to buy milk and bread.
Posted by: jedi

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 10:12 AM

Hey Tony , you remember the blizzard of `78 !!

Me too , I was in it

I had an old 75 Ford Pinto wagon , and you could not get that thing stuck !!

Just cruising around with some pals watching everyone else spin out and get stuck , we tried to help , but there was just way too much snow.

The following morning , I even made it to work !

Crazzzzzzy !
Gary 
Posted by: DonM

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 10:20 AM

Jedi, you are right about the Pinto. I had one for three years in the 70's and never once got stuck in the snow. Oh, wait, it never snowed here during that time.
Merry Christmas anyway!
DonM
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 11:49 AM

Hey Tony, I'm working from home today because we have 4" of snow already which started at 9:00am this morning. We are forecast for 10" with a NorEaster on Sunday.

I hate SNOW!!!! We should all go and visit Tony Rome this time of year.

Al
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 12:22 PM

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas"..
Posted by: DonM

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 12:30 PM

I plan to drive somewhere to see snow Christmas, if there is any within 200 miles!
It's nasty here today, temp has dipped into the 50's. I'm sitting by the fireplace. Of course I haven't lit it.
Seriously, my oldest son is a policeman in Tulsa. They've been out of electricity since Sunday. Even the Police Station had to run on generator. But that was an ICE storm. Much worse than snow. Snow is pretty. Ice is too, but it breaks everything.
Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas!
For the Australians Ha, Ha, Ha, Merry Christmas. :}
DonM

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jedi:
Hey Tony , you remember the blizzard of `78 !!
Me too , I was in it
Gary 

I was still living in NY in '78 ... schools were closed, there was virtually no traffic ... there was this big hill in front of our house and parents and kids were sledding down the hill ... I opened my garage door, went down the hill, along my driveway and INTO the garage ... the kids LOVED it (so did I), especially when the sled runners hit the concrete floor of the garage and the sparks went flying ... ...

RI was a different scene with thousands trapped in their vehicles ... there is a photo (which I could not find on the I'net), of a plow on the highway in Mass. and when it reached the state line it made a U turn ... the Mass. hiway was clear, the RI hiway was covered with snow ...
t.
Posted by: mikeathome1

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 12:55 PM

Up here in central NY we don't even get the plows out for anything less than 6". I think Syracuse got some kind of dubious award for snowiest US city.
Seriously I used to drive a truck to Scranton Pa. and at the NY border they closed everything at the threat of snow because Pa. didn't have the snow equipment we do because they normally don't get the snow we do.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 02:18 PM

Minus 16 Celsius and snowing here on Cape Breton Island...in Canada we have four seasons... early winter, midwinter, late winter and next winter.

It was that cold yesterday I saw some people pushing a house down the street trying to jump start the furnace.

Weather forecasting is easy...if you can't see the house across the street...it is snowing...if you can see the house...it is about to snow.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 02:40 PM

Hope you have a Inclement weather cancelation clause in your contract, be a shame to lose that money.

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 03:09 PM

Tony, I found a link to the photo your talked about:
http://www.projo.com/cgi-bin/include.pl/specials/blizzard/border.htm
Posted by: jedi

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 04:09 PM

Wow , that link brings back memories

Hey Don , you don`t know what you are missing !! HaHa

But , I would sure like to know what a whole year of no snow would be like , I hate the snow and cold,

I`ll ask Santa to bring you some !!

Hey Tony , you should have tried driving !!

Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas to ALL

Gary 

Stephem52 , thanks for the link , I think !@! LOL

Hey Ian , when and what is the Tyros 3 coming !!
Just a hint ? ppplease

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Tony, I found a link to the photo your talked about:
http://www.projo.com/cgi-bin/include.pl/specials/blizzard/border.htm

THAT'S THE ONE , Steve ...

thnx for the call today ... I got kind of busy (doing things OTHER than playing gigs ) ... I'll catch up to you ...
t.

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Hope you have a Inclement weather cancelation clause in your contract, be a shame to lose that money.

Donny ... No I don't ... What is the language of the clause? ... what if the party is going forward, but I can't make it ...
On one job I was subbing for a guy who had a gig with a band for the night - his was also cancelled ... the other, I got a last minute call from a booking agent the day before ...
t.
Posted by: mikey_maestro

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 07:20 PM

I hate freakin Snow, was caught in traffic for a couple hours, got stuck on a hill, and had to cancel a $300 gig.

I Hate Fall River!!!!

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 07:45 PM

The weather prognosticators are predicting nasty weather here for the weekend in the People's Republic of Maryland. If it snows, it will cost me about $700. At my age, any temperature lower than 75 degrees is the dead of winter.

To top it off, our well just ran dry. A new well was drilled and is 500 feet deep. By the time the new well pump, wiring, pipe, connections and labor are totaled up, the tarif will probably be somewhere between $7,500 and $8,500 bucks. And, the well drilling tailings amounts to nearly a half dump-truck load of granite dust, all of which I'll have to remove by hand. This gettin' old crap ain't what it's cracked up to be. It'll take two months of shoveling to get all that damned granite dust removed from my lawn and sidewalk.

Merry Freakin' Christmas,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: Dnj

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/13/07 09:36 PM

Gary....sorry to hear that buddy ....
when It rains it pours.....try to have a
Happy Holiday!! Those famous Green Margaritas sound like a good remedy vs Egg Nog

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/14/07 06:44 AM

Gary, Travlin' Easy sorry to hear about those major problems.

Jedi/Gary, We use to drive up thru Merrimack then to northern New Hampshire most Friday nights during the winter back in the 90s. We skiied just about every weekend, one night it took 7 hours to get up to Franconia Notch in a roaring blizzard, just so we could ski. They couldn't pay me to do that in 2007.

Mikey, I had the Fall River/Tiverton area many years ago when I worked in sales. Those hills are killers!! Canonicus St and Hilton were 2 of the worst with snowy roads, I feel your pain.
Posted by: kalimero

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/17/07 03:00 AM

Here is a little (long) storry (pure fiction) , I just hope no one would feel offended, it's just a joke.

P.S. All *** are self-censored letters.

Letter from Canada

August 12,
We moved in to our new house in Canada. I am so excited. It’s so beautiful here. The mountains are gorgeous. I am eager to see them covered with snow.

October 14,
Canada, it is the most beautiful country in the world. Leaves turned into all these wonderful shades of yellow and orange. I was driving through the nature, and saw a pair of deer’s. They’re so gracious, most beautiful animals in the world. This must be paradise. I love Canada.

November 11,
Remembrance Day, deer hunting is about to start soon. I can’t imagine how somebody can kill such a nice animal. I hope there will be snow soon. It’s so beautiful.

December 2,
It was snowing tonight for the first time. I woke up and saw everything covered in white. Looks like best postcard ever. We walked outside, cleaned the stairs and the doorway, and played a bit with the snow (I won). When the snow cleaner truck passed by, we had to clean in front of the gate again. What a lovely country, I love Canada.

December 12,
Tonight – snow again. I couldn’t get the car out of garage to go to work. It’s wonderful here, but I am just a little bit tired of paddling. Fuc**** snow cleaner passed by again.

December 22,
This white sh** was falling all night long. I got blisters from paddling, and my back is hurting me. This monkey with snow cleaner act as if he is standing around the corner and just waiting for me to clean the gate. A**hole.

December 25,
Merry fu**ing shi**y Christmas. Snow is still falling. If I ever catch that moron who drives snow cleaner, I’ll kill him right away. Damned, why don’t they drop more salt on the road to make snow melt faster?

December 27,
Weather forecast was bad. Half a meter of snow falls down. If it continues like this, it won’t melt till the summer. The snow cleaner truck stacked in the snow, and that a**hole came to ask for a paddle. Told him I broke six paddles because of him, cleaning this white sh*t from the gate that he stuffed with his truck. And I almost break his head with the paddle.

January 4,
Finally I got out of the house, went to the mall to buy some food and supplies. When I was returning home I hit the deer with a car, 3000 C$ of damage. These fuc**ng beasts should be all killed. They are everywhere, why the hunters haven’t killed them all this spring…

May 3,
I am moving to Florida. I can’t imagine how somebody normal and sane can live in this fuc**ng Canada.

Greetings…

P.S.S. Hope You liked it.

[This message has been edited by kalimero (edited 12-17-2007).]

[This message has been edited by kalimero (edited 12-17-2007).]
Posted by: trevorjohn

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/17/07 04:56 AM

Here in the UK we have a miniature Canada.. It's called Scotland!!!!!!!
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/17/07 07:30 AM

kalimero--I LOVE IT! In fact, I'm gonna' print a copy of this and show it to my wife. She keeps talking about how she loves the change of seasons here in Maryland. Of course she doesn't have to shovel the snow from 300 feet of driveway, 160 feet of sidewalk, or rake tons of leaves. That's man's stuff!

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: kalimero

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/17/07 12:45 PM

Thnx travlin'easy

It's not mine, don't know who wrote it, but it appeared couple of years ago in Bosnia and Hercegovina (part of former Yugoslavia) as "Leter from Mujo in Canada". Where "Mujo" is common name for main character in most of the jokes, and in this letter he is refugee who went to Canada.

But be patient, there is even more, because "Mujo" has moved to Florida in next "letter".

;-)
Posted by: Mainer

Re: DAMNED SNOW !!! - 12/17/07 04:17 PM

" Of course she doesn't have to shovel the snow from 300 feet of driveway, 160 feet of sidewalk, or rake tons of leaves. That's man's stuff! "

Think Kubota Tractor - When I lived in the country it was the best investments I ever made. Bought one used for $6500 used it 3 years. I put a for sale sign on it and put it at the end of the driveway (200+ feet long)and walked back to the house. Withen 1 minute of going into the house the doorbell rang and it was the my mailman. Bought it on the spot for $6800. I wish everthing else would happen the same way. LOL

Jerry