SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#106589 - 11/08/04 04:30 PM KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI ya all ya,
I am thinking about adding the Korg to my stable and I am looking for qualified objective opinions on this keyboard. I have read all the specs, seen the picture, but have not yet got my fingers on this board.
How bout helping me out on this. Christmas is getting closer by the day and my wife is pressing me for about "What do you want for Christmas".
I have 4 Technics and a psr9000, plus some others in here. It is time for something new that is truly great and challanging.
c'mon and help me out and thanks for sharing
Bebop

#106590 - 11/08/04 04:45 PM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I've never owned that particular model, but I did demo it next to a Tyros.

I found the Tyros to be head & shoulders above the Korg product in terms of user-friendliness. The sounds were all good, except I dislike the Korg piano sounds beyond words.

You should know I had bought the Korg Triton ProX about a year earlier and despised it. It was not the kb I thought it was...I could never get a good piano sound, so I dumped it rather quickly.

The Tyros' pianos are, IMO, far superior...

Bill in Dayton

#106591 - 11/08/04 05:09 PM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Bebop , knowing you personally as a good friend, as well as the style of music you enjoy playing most, I don't recommend (to you) the PA1Xpro. Korg keyboards have a lot to offer: impressive more contemporary type of styles & sounds and great production tools, but they also involve a bit of a steep learning curve compared to Technics (and Yamaha). For in studio production work this is a terrific keyboard that even I have been seriously considering, but for taking 'out on the road' with you in your RV and performing live and having fun in the process, you might become frustrated & disappointed. Attempting to trigger the auto-accompaniment part variation & fill buttons, from reports I've read here, can produce unacceptable'out of sync'?! results. This is one of the major reasons I have passed on the PA1Xpro myself.

The new upcoming Roland G70 and Yamaha Tyros II definitely won't be out until well into next year. I would recommend the Tyros but since it's apparent (from our conversations) that the Yamaha OS is not your favorite cup of tea, stay with your Technics KN7000. AFterall, it's STILL one of the BEST keyboards today, and continues to surpasses the others in MANY ways.

AS far as acoustic pianos go, I still think you have the best on the Technics KN7000. It's actually a Steinway sample.

If you're still wanting a music gift from your wife, perhaps a Digital Recorder (DAW) or one of the KN7000's EW series sound expansion boards (if you don't already own it) would be a good choice.

Hey Bebop, I read on the Technics forum: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/002715.html
that your KN7000 endured a 3 foot drop to the floor. I trust that it has still survived the fall, and hope this is not the reason you're wanting another keyboard.

Scott

#106592 - 11/08/04 06:47 PM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Thanks guys for your imputes.
Scott knows my style of playing best and I am inclined to accept what he is saying here.
I think I am looking for an in depth analysis of the boards shortcoming and how you relate to them, such as the low polyphony. the laci of a the SD card system and stuff like that. Every thing I read on the net is hype so I am now looking for the offsetting shortcomings.
I have a complete recording studio so don't need anymore gear for that. I would only use this keyboard in the studio as the Technics are the road warriors, the KN7000 and the KN2600.
I decided not to add any boards to the KN's as I send out all my recordings to the hundreds of people on my email lists in the technics format and if they do not have the boards in their technics then they do not get the sounds that I used, but will get some other voice substitution not under my or their control

Scott, that KN7 is built like a tank. It not only fell about 3 feet but got squeezed by the bedroom slideout and it didn't hurt it a bit. I will prolly keep this board for ever but just looking for something new and challanging. maybe i will go back to blowing my horns or even playing my accordion or guitar
Thanks guys
anyone else have comments I can soak up??
Best to all always
Bill the Bebop

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 11-09-2004).]

#106593 - 11/08/04 10:01 PM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
Bob,
Why don't you go to Guitar Center and try PA1X for 3-4 weeks. They give full 30 days refund and they DO price match the last time I shopped there last year.

Then after that, you can try TYROS for another 3-4 weeks and then make your decision.

That's what I did previously while searching for a new board. But unfortunately for GC, I bought the PSR2000 elsewhere after trying all those boards. I just could not pass up the opportunity of buying it for a mere $550

-Han

#106594 - 11/09/04 12:13 PM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
Benno Kattenat Offline

Loc: qualicum beachBC Canada
HI BEBOP ,I LIKE MY PA1X PRO, but it is a diferent ballgame from technics what you used to, had this board since april, 20 gig drive, the key feel exelent sounds are nice, no speakers, can play it through my kn 6500, harmonizer not at all like technics, you can use sample sounds and create samples, good forums, the german one is exellent,I love it and do not regret getting it,this is my opinion only,if you can try one out do so, i am still ex ploring it, lots of add ons,but not cheap . BEST REGARDS BENNO

#106595 - 11/09/04 01:00 PM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
Scottyee Offline

Hi Benno, can you please tell me if you're experiencing any glitches (out of sync timing problems) while playing the PA1X Pro live in auto accomp mode, when triggering (via buttons): variation changes, endings, intros, or fills? I remember reading reports of this problem by several people here a while back, and was wondering if Korg ever corrected this or not. Thanks. - Scott

#106596 - 11/09/04 01:57 PM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hi Scott,
Here's my report ....

I have not heard any glitches .... with fill ins and variations on the PA keyboards here in my store and no customers have complained .

I'm going to try and get some demo's up on my website ....... Dan O'

#106597 - 11/09/04 03:30 PM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
Scottyee Offline

Hey Dan, thanks for the good news! I'm curious to find out if this was corrected by Korg with a hardware fix, or thru a OS software update?

The sz member reported variation button transition timing problem was the main thing that was holding me back from even considering the PA1X Pro, because as a former Korg keyboard player (01/WFD) I really miss many of those classic Korg sounds, as well as the more contemporary Korg style patterns. Though I have some style conversions of these on my Tyros, it doesn't (and won't) sound nearly as good as they would on the PA1X itself. Now if only Korg would just add rootless voicing recognition to their arrangers. Korg, are you listening?

Dan, I'm hoping you might record something 'live' (in auto accomp mode) on the PA1X Pro, and trigger a few intro-variation-ending & fill changes, to demonstrate not only how the live transitions sound, but showcase your terrific arranger keyboard playing talent as well. I've witnessed Dan in person on the arranger keyboard at NAMM & on video, and he definitely doesn't disapoint.

Dan, does your store (KeyboardCity) currently stock the PA1X and/or PA1X Pro?

Scott

#106598 - 11/09/04 04:36 PM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Scott,

I noticed the timing problems with some older styles that were carried over from PA80/60 keyboards. I am almost sure that the timing issue was more of a style programing issue and not a hardware issue. I haven't got a chance to check the styles with the latest OS release 2.0 yet.

When I had the PA80, the timing issue was the only thing that I really hated, especially going from a Yamaha PSR2000 to PA80, it was really annoying. This was the first thing I checked when I bought PA1X and I am really satisfied.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online