SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#106599 - 11/09/04 09:11 PM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
Benno Kattenat Offline

Loc: qualicum beachBC Canada
HI SCOT ,HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS SO FAR WITH ANY OF THESE MENTINEND GLITCHES, BEST REGARDS BENNO

#106600 - 11/09/04 09:12 PM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Here's a few real world items that may influence your decision:
1) Polyphony is rather light. At 62 notes, you can use this up pretty quickly with layers or sequences.
2) Access to styles during seq playback is forbidden. You can locate them, but you can't change one, or have or ready when the seq is done. Same in reverse if you are in acc mode...you can't access the sequencer in live mode.
3) Sounds shut off when new ones are triggered. This is only a problem if you switch alot in the middle of a phrase, or with the sustain pedal down to free up a hand for navigational purposes. If you switch between Program and Performance mode the current sounds shuts down for a second during the switch.
4) No option to add live drum beats to a seq like Yamaha and Ketron do. I've come to love that feature. I like to "modernize" some older sequences by adding some new, hip beats to them....even a multipad adds alot.
5) Some drum fills are still a bit unconventional, and busy compared to the style. (Volumes, instruments etc .....) You may want to tweak the problem areas.
6) Effects mixer is pretty cryptic with only 4 sends. I prefer the Yamaha design where I have control over each sound's EQ, FX, Vol etc in a separate window. Nothing shared like the FX buss in the PA series.

The tone of this kb is AWESOME.
The drums samples are AWESOME.
The O/S is cumbersome, but learnable. Korg lingo takes a while to sink in, but once you "get it", you own it.

#106601 - 11/10/04 03:05 AM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
to the genesys Offline

I thaught the polyphony on the Korg (62) really did not matter because of the way they alocate the sounds.

#106602 - 11/10/04 07:38 AM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
I thaught the polyphony on the Korg (62) really did not matter because of the way they alocate the sounds.

PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS REMARK AS POLYPHONY IS VERY IMPORTANT AS I PLAY FULL CHORDS IN BOTH HANDS.
BEBOP

#106603 - 11/10/04 07:53 AM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Bebop, do you have 62 fingers?!

Genesys is right. Different keyboard manufacterers allocate polyphony (and note stealing) differently, so the actual number of notes you're able to play concurrently can vary greatly depending on a specific keyboard manufacterer's sound allocation system. More confused now? - Scott

#106604 - 11/10/04 08:52 AM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
POLYPHONY IS VERY IMPORTANT AS I PLAY FULL CHORDS IN BOTH HANDS.
BEBOP

It's a simple math equation. Korg does a great job of placing importance on lowest and last note priority, and they DO handle dropouts vey well, but the simplest truth is this:
The unit will NEVER produce more than 62 notes an any given time, so add it up:

Rhythm style is playing a simple trio backing.......uses maybe 8 notes(conservative)
2 handed chords playing piano, layered with strings ....say 16-20 notes for each key stroke. That's at least 26 so far....probably more like 30 or more.
Hit the sustain pedal just ONCE, and BAM! You're at 60 in a heartbeat.

Most Korg styles are 4-8 parts, so the rhythm alone is most likely using as much as 12 or more voices.

You have to listen as you play. If you get severe drop outs, you may be able to thin out the arrangement, or use teh sustain less.

The sustain pedal is the number 1 ememy of polyphony. If you use it light;y, or not at all ..... you may never have issues.

#106605 - 11/10/04 09:38 AM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
to the genesys Offline

Scottyee and UD are both right.
Also, if you are going to use that keyboard in the studio, polyphony should not be a problem for you.

I would say that the weight and the touch screen depending on your style of playing are not the best thing.
However, since you are going to use it in the studio those also should not be a problem for you.

#106606 - 11/14/04 04:50 PM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I have just read every word on the Korg site about the Pa1x Pro and I begin to feel like I am getting hooked. This box is awesome
PA1X lists at $4300.00 USD.
The PA1X PRO with 76 keys, Harddrive, no amp or speakers lists at $4500.00 USD. I am sure substantial discounts must abound
check it out at: http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/en/news/news.html?en
New OS is 2.0 and now available.
Thanks to Beeno for sending me this URL to look it over
Best to all
BEBOP

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 11-14-2004).]

#106607 - 11/15/04 01:49 AM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
jdx Offline

Loc: Liverpool U.K.
I have a PP!X pro for sale Bebop ....
Check for sale + wanted section ...
Price negotiable..

#106608 - 11/15/04 01:51 AM Re: KORG PA1X OPINIONS PLEASE
jdx Offline

Loc: Liverpool U.K.
sorry.. obviously should have read as PA1X PRO.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online