SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#150908 - 02/12/02 12:58 AM "Ryan's Hope" .... a reality at last !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Where do I start??

How do you express the feeling of conducting the finest orchestra in one of it's proudest pieces? I'll try to put this into perspective.

A while back, I was quite touched by the writings of composerRyan, a (then) new member to our forum family. He spoke with a true passion of music, family and keyboard instruments, and never once gave the impression that he expected more out of life, then the hand he was dealt. As we got to know more of Ryan's personal situation - it became clear that his musical advancement was hindered by a lack of financial resources. Typical woes for many musicians, right? (Sure, we all want more toys.)
After more insight, we learned that Ryan's family had gone through some very scary times, and even with all the adverse happenings - he spoke, only with positive feelings, and much love for his Mom and brothers. There was an instant "connection" as I read his story, and I offered to help find him an "outrageous deal" on a keyboard that he could use for composing.

This is where it gets good!

Without asking, and without showing pity or bravado ........ I received several offers (via personal emails) to contribute to the cause of getting a keyboard for our new friend, Ryan. I was AMAZED ! The offers continued to arrive, along with the first few contributions, and before you knew it - this "offer" had turned into a blossoming opportunity that had REAL potential! With the combined efforts of our many selfless members ....... we were about to raise enough financial resources to actually consider buying a NEW keyboard for Ryan, instead of something used. This was TOO MUCH !
My thoughts went to the ending scene of the movie "It's a wonderful life" when Jimmy Stewart's friends all came over to bail him out of his financial jam. MY heart was touched with the outpouring, and I began to make arrangements to buy the keyboard. (By this time, after speaking with Ryan about his needs, and wish-list, We had decided that a psr740 would be IDEAL, and quite do-able ! )

So, the wheels were in motion. . . . . But it gets even BETTER !

The power of love is a mystery to us all, and even in this cyber-world of type-fonts and URL's, the "heartfelt" message was reaching out over the world. This forum is read by many people, and many company representatives who choose to stay behind the scenes, and read quietly without posting. They get ideas, and I'm sure they use many of the valuable tips in their own situations.
One such "Lurker" is Yamaha USA.
I heard from (let's call him...) Mr. "X," and after reading the story, and speaking with other forum members, he offered to contribute to the cause as well. The generosity, and community of the forum had also touched the hearts of the good people at YAMAHA USA !
We spoke at great length about the situation, and after hearing all the details, YAMAHA has offered to DONATE a PSR740 (with the survival kit) to our "Ryan's Hope" fund!
You read that correctly - YAMAHA USA is going to ship a new 740 right to Ryan's door ! UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you - MR X. and Yamaha USA ! This is SUCH a blessing !!!

With this new, and quite unexpected development - we are now faced with a different situation. I have sent emails to all the contributors (if you didn't get one, it's because I didn't get your contribution yet) explaining the "larger" scope of our fund. There are a few details to work out as to how to allocate the funds. I am also sending Ryan a keyboard stand, a "Vocal survival kit" and a padded carry bag for his new baby, but there will be more money available, so I need to know if the donors will trust me to "sweeten" the deal for the set up. I'd love to hear from everyone who sent money on this new development - there are several ways to go, and I want everyone to be happy with their part in the contribution.

In closing - I just want to thank a few people.

FIRST - to Ryan. You have given us a warm feeling, by sharing your own heart with us, and we are proud to be able to join hands and help your musical growth along the way ! Remember to mention the "zone" when you accept your first GRAMMY !
SECOND - to all the contributors. I will provide Ryan's family with all the names of his "stockholders." We are glad to be investing in the future of a very talented and passionate musician and composer. I hope we all get the opportunity to play some of Ryan's original compositions very soon ! This was such a special, one-shot deal, and you all came through without reservation or skepticism. I am proud to know you all.
THIRD - to Nigel, Chris and the folks at Synth Zone. This is a MAGIC place. We laugh together, cry together, send help to one another, and it's a "friend in need," whenever we switch on our computer. I can't turn in for the night till I "check in" with my Global Cyber Family! You are all a part of my day....every day !
LASTLY - I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, but it's late, and I hate typing, so please forgive me if I left anyone out. We are all part of a very cool thing here, and I just wanted to share the events of the last week with you all. There are many friends who contributed greatly, without a financial gift, by offering support, and encouragement to our cause, and your wishes are greatly appreciated.
I spoke with Ryan's Mom and his twin brother, and I am CERTAIN, this keyboard will have a good home in Indiana. Thanx again to all involved, and best of luck to Ryan on the next step of his musical journey. Oh ..... to be 16 again !

Nite, people ......... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

#150909 - 02/12/02 02:40 AM Re: "Ryan's Hope" .... a reality at last !
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
What a wonderful event to unfold before my eyes at 5:30 a.m.! This makes my day! I am so happy for everyone involved and the very strong efforts of our mighty Uncle Dave for having the fortitude to make a wish come true! Hats off to Yamaha and I bow to the fine people of the SynthBBS. What a wonderful place this is.

-Linda

#150910 - 02/12/02 02:52 AM Re: "Ryan's Hope" .... a reality at last !
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
It's quite a happy story, and you should be
in Idiana among with the newspapers and TV
when the delivery is taken place UD.
This most be a real happy story for the world
to see, also about what a forum like this can
be like.
GJ

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 02-12-2002).]
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#150911 - 02/12/02 04:46 AM Re: "Ryan's Hope" .... a reality at last !
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
Hi Uncle Dave and all. I want to thank all that you have done for Ryan. I am by no means wealthy, but am very happy to have what I've got. It always warms my heart to see the less fortunate get a helping hand from those who can. Keep up the excelent work.
Ryan, There is another wonderful board out there on the net. I think the folks there will be of great assistance to you in the days and years to come. www.jpfolks.com
I will always be thankful of Synth Zone and the fine folks that reside here. It is the place where I started, and without it I really don't think I would have made this far. Anyway, enjoy your new toy!!

#150912 - 02/12/02 05:38 AM Re: "Ryan's Hope" .... a reality at last !
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I remember being 16 and still having to play an old Silvertone organ that was pretty awful.. but I was glad to have it anyway. At any rate I had done all kinds of modifications to it including building my own distortion box and installing it. Well, I guess I did one mod too many and the "guts" actually started on fire one day while our band was rehearsing. I was bummed beyond words. I guess fate was really smiling on me though as a few weeks went by and out of nowhere ( almost it seemed anyway ) a Hohner Clavinet practically dropped into my lap.. Ok I hadda pay a very few bucks for it but.. not much. Good thing because a very few was what I had back then. Point being, I can remember the feeling of getting my hands on it, something I never dreamed possible. Incredible ( how hot was a Clavinet to a teen age keyboard player in the mid 70s..lol ). I am betting that Ryan will be having similar experiences when he gets his hands on the 740. One thing that I think will make his experience truly extraordinary though is that it happened largely in part because of the caring and generosity shown here by the members of the forum. Great job everyone. Kudos Uncle dave for coordinating this thing and hats off to yamaha USA for a generous donation as well. Linda coined it best.. this makes a great start to my day.

AJ

#150913 - 02/12/02 06:19 AM Re: "Ryan's Hope" .... a reality at last !
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
WOW .... stories like this happen in REAL LIFE in Indiana ...."Hoosiers", "Rudy", and now "Ryan's Hope" ..... GREAT JOB Uncle Dave!!! ... for my own story, I started taking accordion lessons at 13 yrs ... my teacher became a close friend of the family .. at around 16 yrs, I needed a new instrument, but knew it was not in the family budget at that time ... through the generosity of my teacher/family friend, my parents were able to work something out to give me a new accordion for my birthday ... I'll never forget the feeling ... Best of luck Ryan, make beautiful music!!! ...and "Thanks" is not enough to say to Uncle Dave, Yamaha, (as I 'Techie", I've now become a 'Yammie'fan), and to the forum members who made this possible.
t.

#150914 - 02/12/02 06:38 AM Re: "Ryan's Hope" .... a reality at last !
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Though I couldn't afford to donate but from my heart, I just wanted to say how immensely proud I am to be a part of this Forum family. Uncle Dave, you're the best! Thanks also to all the contributors of both heart and funds. We are family!!

Angelo

#150915 - 02/12/02 07:20 AM Re: "Ryan's Hope" .... a reality at last !
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
UD
Today, Ryan may be smiling.
You could to reveal for each member of our family, how short is the distance between
sadness and happiness.
Tanks.
Brasilian regards.
Chico

#150916 - 02/12/02 07:21 AM Re: "Ryan's Hope" .... a reality at last !
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Thank you Uncle Dave for the giving of your time and resources to help composerRyan. This kind of stuff is the "real deal". God bless you, composerRyan and Ryan's reality. Bravo !!

#150917 - 02/12/02 09:15 AM Re: "Ryan's Hope" .... a reality at last !
Anonymous
Unregistered

What great news to wake up to. We all owe a debt of gratitude to Dave for getting the ball rolling...and to the responsible people of Yamaha for their compassion and generosity.

Eddie

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online